Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Theft Prevention?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Treestand Theft Prevention?

In light of stolen stands, I am wondering if anybody here has used a "dummy sign" a lamanated sign hung somewhere on your treethat say'ssomething to the effect of...
"Before you committ to thieft..smile.. you have been photograhed by 2 different trail cameras" Or something along those lines?

Think it wouldstop athief?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand Thieft Prevention?

One thing I do on one of my farms where I have written permission is to hang a copy of my permission letter on my climbing stick.

The land is hunted hard by relatives (most of which I do not know) in rifle season and I'm sure it prevents any confusion or a relative thinking I'm trespassing and taking my stuff.
So far in 4 years of hanging stands there nobody has (knock on wood) touched anything of mine.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'm kinda wondering what stands are doing hanging in early June..... other than rusting/rotting and getting stolen? No offense to any of y'all that have them hung already, but personally mine come down in February and go back up usually around August/September...sometime even the day of the hunt. I get a lot more life out of them that way.

Everyone has their own theories I suppose. I've been lucky to never have one go UA on me. I've found a few belonging to tresspassers.... and I prefer the polite but firm written note in a gallon zip-lock.... every time the stands have been removed within a week. Usually its just confusion... being that I'm hunting a new lease for example and someone who got permission five years ago thinks they have a lifetime pass.... Since I've been polite about it, and never messed with their property, I fully suspect thats part of the reason none of our stuff has ever been tampered with. Had we taken a different approach to it.. they might have also.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think what Matt does is a good idea in his situation, but IMO if they are going to steal a stand not too much will stop them.

Dan
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its Theft.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM

i dont think it would hurt. try it.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Chain and a padlock?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Roskoe, chain and padlock have always worked well for me and never had any problems
Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

My stand (climber)gets put up the very moment I arrive at my hunting site, and gets removed when I leave that same hunting site.I find this to be the MOST effective deterent against theft!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM

if someone wants your stand bad enough to make a second trip out there with a bolt cutters...not much is going to stop them...try all you want but people are greedy and nine times outta ten you wont be able to find them...its a shame how people act with tresspassing and stealing but do all things necessary to make it as hard as you can and make them think twice

Quick Reply: Treestand Theft Prevention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.