Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oak question

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Oak question

I looked up some more info.

Apparently this thing is called an Oak Apple Gall - and houses the egg/larvae of a certain type of wasp. These waspslay their eggsprimarily in leaf stemsofRed, Black and Scarlet Oaks, and are generally initiated in the spring.

Here's a dried-up one. If you pay attention, you'll find these laying all around in the woods in the fall. I definitely never knew that these things were strictly relegated to Oak trees.

I'd presume that the wasp is able to place a certain enzyme in the leaf stem of these certain breedsd ofoakthat cause it to consistently grow into this weird little pod.Symbiots.

Here's a cross-section picture

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

All hail the KING! Wicked awesome smahts ya gaht there. Learn something new every day.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great info there King!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM

I've learned something new today...and of course it's the king
Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM

I've seen those many times before under oak trees and just assumed it was some type of byproduct. Now I know exactly what it is! Great thread!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said, there are various types ofgalls that are onvarious types oftrees. Check out these galls that are on a Choke Cherry right out in my back yard.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

It's called a "gall." Not a fruit. I think it's some kind of growthcasing around a bug. Like a cocoon.
that is exactly right I just noticed some this pst weekend camping with my son . later they turn brown and the bug bores its way out
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's called a "gall." Not a fruit. I think it's some kind of growthcasing around a bug. Like a cocoon.
You Got it!!

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could get in trouble for telling everyone what it really is, NASA hates when their secrets are revealed. They're really scientific experiments that are being performed by space aliens. We think that they're attempting to alter the vegetation on Earth in an effort to meet their nutritional needs prior to the invasion.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I looked up some more info.

Apparently this thing is called an Oak Apple Gall - and houses the egg/larvae of a certain type of wasp. These waspslay their eggsprimarily in leaf stemsofRed, Black and Scarlet Oaks, and are generally initiated in the spring.

Here's a dried-up one. If you pay attention, you'll find these laying all around in the woods in the fall. I definitely never knew that these things were strictly relegated to Oak trees.

I'd presume that the wasp is able to place a certain enzyme in the leaf stem of these certain breedsd ofoakthat cause it to consistently grow into this weird little pod.Symbiots.

Here's a cross-section picture
I knew that! You just beat me to it,anyone want to buy some ocean front property in Montana?

Quick Reply: Oak question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.