Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Re-fletch or buy new?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Re-fletch or buy new?

I have appx 4 Beman 340's and 5 Redhead Carbon Maxx 3000 arrows that need to be re-fletched or I need to purchase new arrows. I've had these arrows for 4-5 yrs and the fletching has either been damaged and/or was never adhered very well. I've learned the shorter vanes are the better way to go, so if I re fletch, I'll go that route unless someone here says otherwise. However, I'm debating on whether the newer arrows offer advantages that these don't, so for a moderate amt of extra money vs. taking them in to be fletched, should I buy new.

Your advice is appreciated. My bow specs are noted below if it helps. thx.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Re-fletch or buy new?

I prefer to have all my arrows matching, however ultimately you have to decide if you have the funds to buy new arrows. Do the different arrows weigh the same??? If they aren't the same weight, I would definately buy new ones....My 2 cents..
Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2

But if you want to get them refletched i have been using the NAP quickfletch speed hunters and it saves me having to take them somewhere. No glues or adhesives to mess with.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My advice to you would be to buya good fletching jig, and learn to do it yourself. It's really not that hard to learn. I was in the same boat you're in, having arrows collecting that had maybe one sliced vane or what ever from shooting groups at the bulls eye. I've since stopped shooting that way.It got to the point with me, that after about 3-4 years, I had roughly 20 arrows that needed to be refletched! I wasn't about to pay to have them done.
I got on here and found out which one was the most popular jig (Bitz), and bought one. Read up on the process, vanes, glue, ect. The rest is history. Now I have more arrows than I know what to do with.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would do both, i like to ahve alot of arrows tho.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

First of all you should decide which ones u will be hunting with and buy more of those and buy you a fetching jig and learn to do your own arrows.You don't need to be shooting different arrows through the same bow,they will just not perform the same.Chose one or the other or go with another arrow altogether, but shoot a few different types and find one that performs the best out of your bow and get a dozen of them bare shaft and cut to your proper lenght and do your own arrows,they should last you a long time if taken care of.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 PM

If there are no cracks and they still fly true than refletch with 2" Bohning blazers.