Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Rob:
Last fall my cousin took a poor shot head on. He put the arrow through the sternum. Asa th edeer ran off he could see the arrow half protruding under the deer's chin. I helped him track it till the blood trail ran out 3/4 of a mile away. He never found it. Weeks later ther nieghbor reported seeing a deer with an arrow protruding from it's neck. From the description, it was a different deer entirely. Recently in the paper, there was a report of a deer running around with an arrow protruding from it. Wildlife officials recommended leaving it alone. Those are incidents I know about personally. Deer seem to be able to recover from a non-lethal arrow embedded in it. My concern is that carbons that won't allow the deer to break off the arrow will reduce the recovery from non-lethal hits.
Maybe we should outlaw guys who take stupid shot's on deer! What was he thinking shooting a deer head on with a bow![:@]
Old 06-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

aluminums just aren't as efficient for killing game as carbons are.
X2, Last time I checked aluminums are quite a bit more heavy than carbons. On the KE chart, a heavy arrow will beat out pure speed all the time. What I like is to have both a heavy arrow moving fast,its the best of both worlds and the KE numbers are off the chart.
I'll try this again.I couldn't agree more with this. I shoot a 501gr arrow (XX75) at 250fps (slow by todays standards) out of my 50#/60# (maxed at 63#) Vectrix XL 30", and get 69 1/2 ft/lbs of KE. That's what kills, big time!!Nuff said.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Rob:
Last fall my cousin took a poor shot head on. He put the arrow through the sternum. Asa th edeer ran off he could see the arrow half protruding under the deer's chin. I helped him track it till the blood trail ran out 3/4 of a mile away. He never found it. Weeks later ther nieghbor reported seeing a deer with an arrow protruding from it's neck. From the description, it was a different deer entirely. Recently in the paper, there was a report of a deer running around with an arrow protruding from it. Wildlife officials recommended leaving it alone. Those are incidents I know about personally. Deer seem to be able to recover from a non-lethal arrow embedded in it. My concern is that carbons that won't allow the deer to break off the arrow will reduce the recovery from non-lethal hits.
your cousins fault, not the arrows he was shooting
Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is not a forum around where you can't find an argument from someoneabout anything.

I even saw one thread on HNI debating if a shaving sharp broadhead was needed to kill an animalNeeded?? Desired??

I have both Aluminums and Carbons and like things about both of them, but if I had to make a choice it would be carbons or A/C for me hands down

Dan
Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Maybe we should outlaw guys who take stupid shot's on deer! What was he thinking shooting a deer head on with a bow![:@]
Amen to that!!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I can't believe people worry about such things as a deer not recovering from a non-lethal shot with a carbon,or any arrow for that matter.Does it happens? Yea i'm sure it does,but the numbers must be pretty darn low because in my whole life I have never seen a deer walking around with an arrow sticking out of it.What about all the deer killed in car accidents or deer die offs in winter in some areas,as far as some of you guys beating up on other hunters who make a bad shot it happens too sometimes,we all have to learn when to shoot and not to shoot when I was a young hunter I made some not so smart shots but I have learned from my mistakes as I'm sure most others will too.This is a silly thread.I guess I'm silly to reply too.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can'r believe this is even a discussion.

I've seen one arrow in 20+ years of hunting that was stuck in a deer. It was an aluminum and it was back along the deers spine as if it was shot facing striaght away. again....HORRIBLE shot choice, nothing to do with arrow material.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I can'r believe this is even a discussion.

I've seen one arrow in 20+ years of hunting that was stuck in a deer. It was an aluminum and it was back along the deers spine as if it was shot facing striaght away. again....HORRIBLE shot choice, nothing to do with arrow material.
I just don't think that aluminum arrows fly as true as carbons do and like a few are saying on here, I do not really see the problem that the thread starter is initiating. Is aluminum a heavier arrow? Sure. Does it necessarily mean that it hits with more KE? I cannot make that statement. Just because it is heavier does it hit harder than a more durable material like carbon? I do not know.

Sorry if I ruffled the feathers of some of the more experienced hunters on here.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was kind of hoping your statement was sarcasm.

There isn't a single thing from any angle you want to take where a statement can be made that aluminum is less lethal than carbon or vice versa. Aluminum tolerences for straightness are extremely tight. Thier spine is dead consistent. Carbons exploded on the market cause many guys are speed freaks and hoping for that imagined edge that will help them get a deer. Plus they are a bit more durable in some respects. I've seen guys pull arrows where thye'd have bent every one if it was an aluminum.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Well it must be more of a coincidence than anything then, because of all the times that I have been to the range, I have noticed that none of the aluminum shooters were shooting too accurately and had noticabley wider and sparadic groups than did my carbons.

Quick Reply: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.