Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cameras, minerals, and stands are up

Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cameras, minerals, and stands are up

Im staying away except to check batteries and maybe move cameras around. Last time I went in (Saturday) I jumped 7 deer. I guess its time for them to make it home rather than me intruding. When is too much, and when should i start scouting for the trails, funnels, etc.?

I figure around August I will walk through, como'ed and scent free to see whats happening since all of my work is done. Anyone else explore off season?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cameras, minerals, and stands are up

"when is too much?" if you are after the biggest deer on the property then you should figure any trip not hunting is too much. it is best to figure out as much as you can in the first year (scouting)and place everything you can then get out, and no matter how much you want to go in and see whats happening you would do your self a big favor to wait till you hunt to see something.

i do 95% of my scouting in the summer. i also always don't worry about my sent and i never wear camo while scouting.reason being that i am not walking around conspicously, if you have ever came home in camo you will notice your dog who has known you all his life will freak out. the same thing happens with deer, if a human walks through the woods loud (talking) and lets his sent proceed him so the deer doesn't get supprised up close and can clearly look at you and tell you aren't a threat then he will be far more likely to return to the spot you scared him out of.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

im trying to understang what your saying martin i hope im not being a pain but your saying that im walking in normal close the deer will smell me and hear me and will be at escaping my presence soon and with less alarm then if i am sneaking trying not to break a twig in scent free stuff then i SHOULD be more apt to getting closer to them thus if they figure out or when they figure out i could a threat they will be running with great alarm and thus not as apt to come back to that same spot as usual again i may seem like a dumby but i am trying to learn all i can to be more successful
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i go in every other week to put corn in, replace batterys and to check my camra
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out and put up some cameras with MECHDOC today, the deer sign was looking pretty darn good. Can't wait to get some pictures to post.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should get mine up this week sometime
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 AM

Getting ready to go to the lease now to put out some minerals and move and check cams.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

forddeerslayer: ya i know it sounds like doing the opposite of what we should believe. in and around season i am almost sent free and sneaky, but when it comes to off season i want to act less like a hunter and more like a simple passing by of a random person. elk in colorado have learned the difference between hunters and hikers. hikers are noisy and smelly wearing flashy clothing. the elk will stand there and watch a hiker go by but will freak out when the catch a camo'd hunter sneaking around. from my experience the same thing happens with deer, another example is when the farmer comes out to feed his cattle, all the turkeys for a half mile come running at his tractor. when any farmer goes through his field as he would do on a regular basis the deer will just watch him but not be too conserned.

you never want to accidentaly sneak up on a deer and scare him at 20 yards, it freaks them out, but if he is able to hear you comming from a quarter mile away he will have plenty of time to identify you and keep a comfortable distance and know that you are no danger to him. to me it is all about nocking on the door before you walk into his house. you don't want to be returning often cause they will just find a place where they don't have to move out of your way eventually.

i am sure everybody has their own opinion on this but i consistantly see5-7 year olddeer with acouple boon and crockets on my propertiesevery year butto do that you have to keep them feeling safe and secure.