Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can I get more speed out of my arrows by switching..

My guess is the Maxima Hunters will be faster than the Axis. Speed has to do with the overall weight of the arrow, not the diameter as long as thespine on both shafts is correct.

Dan
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 AM

I agree with Meanv
If you gave us some details on your setup I could help more

For a few ft increase you could shoot the regular Maximas, they are a little lighter than the hunters
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

As noted earlier - any speed gain will come from a reduction in total arrow weight.

There are several ways to cut arrow weight:
[ul][*]Go to a lighter fletching (feather)[*]Swap out the components (insert, nock bushing) for lighter pieces[*]Go to a lighter head[*]Scrap the whole thing, and look for a lighter shaft.[/ul]
The rub with going light in the shaft is that you still need the spine. Most light shafts just won't have enough spine for a heavy hunting setup. Another point of concern is dipping below the 5 gpp warranty limit on your bow. It's just not safe to go beyond the warranty specs on the bow.

To illustrate: If you shoot 70# draw weight, you should shoot an arrow that weighs at least 350 grains (70 x 5).
** that figure includes head, fletchings, nock, insert, etc...**

If you're going to play the speed game, you've got to understand spine stiffness, and have a good grip on what your bow can handle. It's a fine line that you'll be walking, but the technology is out there for the average consumer to put together one whale of a fast bow - so long as he's smart about it.

For example: Last year, I went out and bought a High Country Iron Mace. This bow has the best limbs on the market, and is the only bow available that is warranted down to 3 grains per pound (not 5). Then, I put together a dozen Carbon Revolution 5.5 gpi ultra stiff shafts. The key here is the stiffness. The spine in these arrows is rated for up to 75# on 30" draw - but they only weigh about half of what similarly-spined arrows from the major manufacturers weigh.

Generally, if you're looking for a spine stiff enough for 75#, 30" draw, you're looking at a 9.5-12 gpi shaft. These ones weigh in at 5.5 gpi.Insanely light.

So, I built a 250 grain arrow to shoot out of a 70# bow at 29# draw, which is 100 grains under normal warranty spec, but was inside the HCA warranty. This is what I got.

This bow is an absolute rocket, and I have 100% confidence in the arrows. And I could make it go faster if I tweaked some things.

The key here is pushing the limits of archery science without overstressing any particular part of your shooting system. Finding a light arrow that retains enough spine tomeetyour draw length/weight requirements is the key.

There are only a few options out there right now:
[ul][*]Carbon Revolution (High Country) makes a 5.5 and 6.2 gpi shaft[*]Victory has a new line of HV arrows that are spined stiff and ultralight[*]Easton Lightspeeds are pretty light[*]Gold Tip has an Ultralight series of shafts now available.[/ul]
Any q's regarding anything more specific, just hit me up.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

My guess is the Maxima Hunters will be faster than the Axis. Speed has to do with the overall weight of the arrow, not the diameter as long as the spine on both shafts is correct.

Dan

x2

ACCs and Axis shafts (when similar deflections are compared) are nearly the same weight... a 340 Axis (black) and a 3-60 ACC superlite... both 9.5 gpi... and if you are shooting 70#s over 27"... or a hard/agressive binary cam set up... thats what you'll be needing.

Maxima Hunters are 8.9 gpi (pretty light really) and Maximas are 8.2 gpi respectively in a 350 deflection.... thats pretty dang light. If you wanted to drop some weight to pick up some speed... go away from the maxima hunters to the standard maximas.... I've always thought camo arrows were about as dumb a purchase as one can make.... more expensive... heavier... and you lose them faster.

Standard rule of thumb for speed as it pertains to arrow weight.... for every 2-3 grains you go +/- in arrow weight... you will +/- 1 fps of speed. So look at your speed now... calculate your arrow weight... divide the difference by 3... and you'll have a round about conservitive figure.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM

The other thing to think about is noise. Shooting light arrows makes the bow louder. Doesn't matter what brand bow.
I have a customer that shoots an Iron Mace with the light HC arrows. Yep, it is fast! 341 thru my chrono.
But, it sounds like an old screen door slamming when it goes off!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Speed but I honestly believe that an arrow weighing 6 to 7 grains per pound of peak draw weight is as light as you should go for hunting.

It's a good mesh of speed, KE#, Momentum, and enough weight to keep the bow Quiet.

I shoot a 60# bow and have hunted with a 340 grain arrow the last few years. This year I am going to a 400 grain arrow. The speed lose is minimal, the bow is Quieter, and the KE jumps up.

Speed is not the cure allJMO

Dan
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM

My bows are set at 60 lbs. as well, and I'm normally shooting arrows that range from 403 grains to 447 grains. Quiet. Good KE. One thing I would throw out, if you are eyeing those slim shafts on the Axis arrows, is that they penetrate really well. Particularly the Axis FMJ. Less resistance to those slim shafts and less arrow oscillation when the tip encounters resistance. I think the penetration compares favorably to a regular diameter arrow weighing 100 grains more. And wind drift is less. But speed is pretty much a function of weight, as previously mentioned.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buellhunter is right - as your bow gets faster, closing in on that 350 mark - or beyond- the string gets really loud, if it's left unmanaged.

You HAVE to put a suppressor on it. No way around it. But, after you get the bumper put on it, it sounds just like any other bow.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.