Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can I get more speed out of my arrows by switching..

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Buellhunter is right - as your bow gets faster, closing in on that 350 mark - or beyond - the string gets really loud, if it's left unmanaged.

You HAVE to put a suppressor on it. No way around it. But, after you get the bumper put on it, it sounds just like any other bow.

Fran... you know there is a member who has posted in this very thread who can help you with that..... and his HD Green pattern matches the mace nicely.... I happen to have one on my Mace as well... and it definately helps the slap....

How bout them Pens... finally found the net huh?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I like Speed but I honestly believe that an arrow weighing 6 to 7 grains per pound of peak draw weight is as light as you should go for hunting.

It's a good mesh of speed, KE#, Momentum, and enough weight to keep the bow Quiet.

I shoot a 60# bow and have hunted with a 340 grain arrow the last few years. This year I am going to a 400 grain arrow. The speed lose is minimal, the bow is Quieter, and the KE jumps up.

Speed is not the cure all JMO

Dan

Again Dan, I agree with you.

I'm shooting the exact same bow that quiksilver is... an 07 Iron Mace.... only I went the other way with mine... kinda like meanv did.

I'm shooting mine now at 63#s, 29.5" draw. I have put a few different arrows through it now and I think I'm going to settle on an arrow in the 415gr neighborhood. I shot two yesterday on opposite ends of the spectrum. A Redhead Max 2 (a Carbon express Maxima) that weighed 344grs and she sent it at 305fps. What I am looking at for a hunting set up is something a bit heavier and a bit slower... easier to control broadheads with.

Second arrow I shot was an Axis 340, with 4" vanes (got it out of the $2 random bucket... and they had 5 of them... not bad for $10!). Weight was 435. Speed right around 278-280 fps. I'm planning on striping the vanes off and going with feathers... that will increase the FOC to over 12%, and should put the weight right at 414gr or so. Speed should be right around the 280 mark, which with a 63# easy to draw bow... is a whole pot full of energy... ought to be able to shoot through one end to end.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Andy: I got one on there, a duravanes string tamer. Amazing difference. I had to have it, b/c at 369, the string twang was crazy loud. It's quiet enough now that I removed the stringjax.

The Pens finally coughed out the hairball... Stay tuned.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

SC, Sounds like you got a nice setup. The string suppressor is working, Huh?

Here is a pic of one in HD Green. We have10 patterns in stock.

Dan

Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Andy: I got one on there, a duravanes string tamer. Amazing difference. I had to have it, b/c at 369, the string twang was crazy loud. It's quiet enough now that I removed the stringjax.

The Pens finally coughed out the hairball... Stay tuned.
My bad Fran.... totally missed it in the picture. Last season I was shooting a fairly light arrow (365gr) and the noise was to the point that I put TRU Ball Speed Spiders on to help tone it down a bit. Mid-way through I started shooting ACC 3-49s (which I now know are weak spined for a Mace at just about any #age if you have over a 28" draw) and the noise was definately reduced.

I've been messing with it a fair amount lately. I finally rid myself of the Schaefer rest, which I like, but at the same time its design, coupled with the draw cycle of the mace, has made me bunny hop the arrow off the rest a time or two during practice and even during a few 3D shoots. It ain't funny then, and definately wouldn't be on a hunt. I put a QAD LD on.... love it so far.

Dan: Yeah that CSS is the heat. I bought mine from you about this time last year... its a fixture for sure.... I've sent anumber offolks your way, hopefully they found ya.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop, how much speed do you want? twildasin has a General that we chrono'd at 309 the other week. I believe he has some Easton lightspeeds that he has set up with blazers and some lighter BHs.....but with a lighter arrow and your rage heads you should be able to push 300. PM Tim and ask what his arrow weight is, if you build an arrow within 30 grains of his you should be good. I think he is shooting a 65 grain head so, you could build the same arrow and be real close, I don't think that he is maxed on his draw wt either. check it out.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]