Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

clearing for congregation

Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default clearing for congregation

I have been bushhogging about 15 acres of a field usually covered with briars and small trails thoughout. Im clearing about 1/3 of it becuase I heard the deer like to have a place to congregate and mingle. This helps in me sighting them, and barely affects the bedding in the briars, so do you think this is a helpful move or should I not bothere with existing bedding areas and travel routes?

It also gives me a ton of visibility throught the field from tree stands, and will help in the recovery of deer that retreat to the briars, etc, that are next to impossible to enter. Anyone else clear fields for congregation?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: clearing for congregation

plant oats where you cleared it and they congregate!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: clearing for congregation

I don't know how much land you are dealing with overall, so my answer could change... Now, if I assume you are dealing with 100 acres or so, then I would only open a couple of "patches" with the bushhog maybe 50 yards by 50 yards or so and you can pplant them with clover or some other perennial if you want (or whatever for that matter), cut trails throughout to help "steer" the deer where you want them and let the rest get nasty thick. About every 3-5 years you should cut the whole area so that no trees start to grow in it and turn it into woods. That area would become a major hangout for the deer on your place.

Shed, I don't know why but the deer here do not like oats. I have tried it on 3 different occasions and the deer traffic in it has always been pathetic. I finally gave up. I started planting it because of how the mule deer and elk in CO loved it. Go figure.