Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control and UV spray

Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent control and UV spray

Walmart has black lights for cheap. Ive used our camo on some tests at several shows using the Atsko sports washproduct thats advertised on HNI under gear/apparel, they always get some pretty chick to come to your booth and ask for some clothes, its a dirty, cheap, and very successful tactic lol.Im no scientist and I have zero affiliation with any UV spray or wash, all I can say is if the black light testis a real indicator of UV it absolutely works, but some fabrics are brighter than others.

From what I have been told by our textile company,UV brightners double the color fastness of inks fading on the fabric. Its a double edged sword. This is a quote from the owner of the company.

"We made some test here and found poly is always brighter than cotton and even poly/cotton blends spectrum brighter.
For our camo lines weuse unbleached fabrics and no addition of any UV brighteners."

So no UV brightners apparently means your clothes will fade faster unfortunetaly. The only actual proof is what you can find on the internet and directly from the textile companies and associated tests.

Regardlessif the clothes have UV brightners or not, for less than $14 you get something like the ATSKO product and wash 2 sets clothes just to be sure, for the cost and claimed benefits its well worth it IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Bartender

Well you saved me some time Andy as I was going to put mine to the black light test. I have been using ATSKO since 2001.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

From what I understood on reading the article, its the detergent you wash your clothes in. I use scent lok wash and it mentions nothing on UV. I was wondering if this year products like dead down wind or the others willl include something on the UV.

I dont doubt the studies, especially the article on HNI that said beware. I saw a hunting show where the host made it clear he was not endorsing the product, but completely sprayed his blind down because of the UV in the fabric. Never even mentioned the spay, other than saying it covered the UV on the fabric.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mentioned once that most camo clothes aren't made with dyes that... uv isn't in the dye, I don't understand it. The point was made to prove you don't needthe killerin the soap orspray. I think someone had a response to that, but I can't recall it.

I don't use the spray and wouldn't use it in the soap if I didn't have too. I sometimes wash cloths with baking soda.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

Mentioned once that most camo clothes aren't made with dyes that... uv isn't in the dye, I don't understand it. The point was made to prove you don't needthe killerin the soap orspray. I think someone had a response to that, but I can't recall it.

I don't use the spray and wouldn't use it in the soap if I didn't have too. I sometimes wash cloths with baking soda.
Sure, I understand that you dont need it for new stuff or for stuff that you havent washed with detergent that contains brighteners...what I want to test are the UV killing sprays. I ended up having to order the stuff online cause I couldnt find it locally. Ill be sure to post the results.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Walmart has black lights for cheap. Ive used our camo on some tests at several shows using the Atsko sports washproduct thats advertised on HNI under gear/apparel, they always get some pretty chick to come to your booth and ask for some clothes, its a dirty, cheap, and very successful tactic lol.Im no scientist and I have zero affiliation with any UV spray or wash, all I can say is if the black light testis a real indicator of UV it absolutely works, but some fabrics are brighter than others.

From what I have been told by our textile company,UV brightners double the color fastness of inks fading on the fabric. Its a double edged sword. This is a quote from the owner of the company.

"We made some test here and found poly is always brighter than cotton and even poly/cotton blends spectrum brighter.
For our camo lines weuse unbleached fabrics and no addition of any UV brighteners."

So no UV brightners apparently means your clothes will fade faster unfortunetaly. The only actual proof is what you can find on the internet and directly from the textile companies and associated tests.

Regardlessif the clothes have UV brightners or not, for less than $14 you get something like the ATSKO product and wash 2 sets clothes just to be sure, for the cost and claimed benefits its well worth it IMO. Just my 2 cents.
So it does actually work then? Cool...Ill continue my test since I already spent the money.