Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck:Doe Ratio....How bad can it be?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck:Doe Ratio....How bad can it be?

As stewards of the land and the future of hunting itself I find it very self serving to shoot any bucks if you are confident that by doing so you are directly harming the dynamics of thedeer herdthat we live to hunt.
Your justification for killing any buck is what ? A trophy for your wall?[]
Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I really think if the ratio is that out of balance the only reasonable thing to do is stop killing any bucks at all.
"Savethe rage for a nanny!" Should be your slogan.

If as those of you state killing does is the best thing that can happen to herd health ,then the other mortality that takesthe greatest toll on bucks is man kinds harvest of said bucks .
We can't stop cars,winter storms or the rut,which are the leading causes of buck mortality, but ethics and morals alone should be enough for you herd dynamic folks to call off the buck slaughter for the good of a healthy herd of deer.
This is EXACTLY why I think we need "Earn a Buck" in my specific WMU! Come on PGC, get with the "program"!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

I really think if the ratio is that out of balance the only reasonable thing to do is stop killing any bucks at all.

If as those of you state killing does is the best thing that can happen to herd health ,then the other mortality that takesthe greatest toll on bucks is man kinds harvest of said bucks .
We can't stop cars,winter storms or the rut,which are the leading causes of buck mortality, but ethics and morals alone should be enough for you herd dynamic folks to call off the buck slaughter for the good of a healthy herd of deer.
This is EXACTLY why I think we need "Earn a Buck" in my specific WMU! Come on PGC, get with the "program"!!!
They don't need killed at all. If the ratio is as bad as you say,then if you shoot a buck you are the problem not the solution.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

They don't need killed at all. If the ratio is as bad as you say,then if you shoot a buck you are the problem not the solution.
I let "legal" bucks walk with regularity.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

For you guys its kinda like gas prices, it just gets worse as time goes on. I hear alot of guys saying that they should get the kids involved in hunting, but a kid will typically shoot the first deer that walks by and thats usually a small buck. The only way to fix a bad ratio is to not kill bucks for a year or two, but are people willing to do that? i seriously doubt it
Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM

The first deer that walks by is usually a small buck?

If that's the case then a lot of these ratio figures might be way off.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I let "legal" bucks walk with regularity.
With your 10 - 1 ratio your either seeing a pile of deer or your not letting that many walk.

Think if you and two of your friends didn't kill a buck for 4 years but instead each killed five does. You would then be proud stewards of the land ,and become what we all strive to be, a true conservationist.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: il coyote

The first deer that walks by is usually a small buck?

If that's the case then a lot of these ratio figures might be way off.
Ok that might be a little untrue i guess if the ratio is down. The point im trying to make is that most hunters dont care if they shoot a little buck or not, they will just see antlers and fire away. Alot of the younger guys are now practicing QDM, but alot of the old timers (who make up a good chunk of the hunting population) will shoot what they can (and they have that right). Also, people who are just in it for the meat would rather should a young buck then an old mature deer.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Why is it so wrong to shoot whatever the heck you feel like?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Why is it so wrong to shoot whatever the heck you feel like?
They made it against the law to shoot idiots long ago.

And besides thats not the question that was asked.[:-]

Quick Reply: Buck:Doe Ratio....How bad can it be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.