Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Greeted by a Cinnamon Black Bear (Video).

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Look What Greeted Me This Morning.

Man I miss all the cool stuff. [:-]
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It was really pretty cool guys. It's the very first time I've ever seen a color phase bear in person. I was startled at first. As I stepped off the porch I heard him woosh as he started up the tree. I took a step back and realized and said, "well hello Mr Bear". I ran at him and he continued up the tree almost to the top. He started back down when I went to the porch so I ran at him again and he went up. I then realized like Rick James said, Hmmm, where's momma? I looked around and thought the same thing as Shultzy said, he's last years cub and momma ran him off just recently. Black Bears bear cubs ever 2 years so she'll breed this year and bear her cubs this next winter/spring. This cub is what, just better than a year old.

I believe our state record is above the 800 lb area.

Earlier in the spring as a friend (Nate) and I were walking down the trail behind my garage and we heard something take off and stop, as we stood there a bear was woofing and snapping it's jaws. It could very well have been this bear but this isn't the first bear that's been in my yard. I've had mulitple bears over the years but this was by far the neatest experience. The second was the 600lber was tearing apart my 3D target.

See the claw marks in the ass end of this 3D target.

Rob ... you have the neatest things happen around your house!!!

I would LOVE there to be a healthy bear population around me ......
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I have read, Pa has the largest strain of black bear in all of Noth America! That is the first color phase bear I've ever seen in Pa. Truely a rare sight. Rob, you're the man!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do they hibernate down there????
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Shultzy:

I don't know for sure, what I can say is that my property produces fairly frequent sightings of bear tracks and scat all year except late December to February or so. I don't know if it's a hard hibernation, but they do seem to slow down at least in the winter and reduce the size of their core areas.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Schultzy, to the best of my knowledge they do. The temps may have some baring on this though.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Bartender

That is a great wake up call
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Shultzy:

I don't know for sure, what I can say is that my property produces fairly frequent sightings of bear tracks and scat all year except late December to February or so. I don't know if it's a hard hibernation, but they do seem to slow down at least in the winter and reduce the size of their core areas.
The reason I asked is......

5 out of the top 10 B&C bears were killed in PA.
Being thats the case theres a good chance that these bear in your part of the state don't hibernate very long and thus they grow much faster or quicker then the bear in the Northern states that hibernate 6 months out of the year. New Mexico has got allot of big bruins in the books because they don't hibernate in certain parts of the state there. They have a ton of color phase bear too being there coats get exposed to the sun allot more then in the Northern states.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

A bear, pretty cool! Here I thought you had another new bow waiting on your doorstep!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol thats cool

Quick Reply: Greeted by a Cinnamon Black Bear (Video).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.