Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The reason im against rages

Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The reason im against rages

ORIGINAL: DropTine249
Not realizing that they RAGE does not need to hit vitals to kill that animal. You can just shoot it in the foot or butt and it will die.

Yea...ya know what..I think I'll just hunt with a harpoon from now on. Better range, 8" cutting diameter and a rope so I can real my deer back in..

Lets see you guys tell me my set-up sucks then !! hm
If you think youcan get by shooting them in the Butt that would be the best choice[8D]

Dan
Old 05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my broadhead starts dictating what my bow set up is, I will just have to find a better broadhead.

LT

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

If my broadhead starts dictating what my bow set up is, I will just have to find a better broadhead.
Good point.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know if the draw weight was the issue on the pig. I have posted this before, but a couple weeks ago on our hog hunt, our buddy shot a hog at 17yds with 65# draw weight using Rage 2 blades, and only got about 3 inches of penetration. I think the larger cutting diameter really slowed it down alot. Rages do open up fast, and usually thats a good thing, but on a tough hide like a boar Im not so sure. My over the top mechanicals with a smaller cutting diameter at 30yds got a near pass through shooting 55#. Maybe it was just a fluke or whatever, but just letting you know I have seen the same thing shooting 65#.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

you might want to check arrow flight i know you said it flew straight but you said arrow hit then went toward the rear of the animal.
i had a problem with arrows breaking about two the four inches above broadhead arrow was fishtailing a little bit.that eats up penatration.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

I was sitting in my treestand when a giant boar walks in to the feeder, when it was broadside at 20 yards i drew my 50 pound XT back and released an arrow that was a little high, but still in the boiler room. I watched the arrow fly straight and when it hit the hog, it stopped? the arrow fell off the hog and it ran off, i climbed down and picked up my arrow and found that it had penetrated to the end of the broadhead?????
No offense SM, but the boiler room on a hog is WAY low compared to most animals. I'm sure you probably have, but when you gut a hog, the diaphragm literally starts about 3 inches behind the shoulder. The shoulder blade protects the tops of the lungs. None the less, a 50lb bow doesn't produce much KE specifically for a shoulder shot on a big pig.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might have to tend to disagree here. I think with 50#, even a 2" COC would be a stretch, but I'm sure something like an 82nd shooting a 450gr arrow might be able to do it, but MOST bows aren't gonna get it there.
My brother shoots a Bear Element or Instinct(which ever is more expensive) and he shoots Easton Epic 400, 4" feathers and a 100g Rage 2 Blade. He is pulling around 58lbs right now, has been higher and lower. No issues with the Rage.

There is a whole heck of a lot of difference between a 50# draw weight and a 58# draw weight.... And an Easton Epic 400... in order for that to spined right for him.. he must be pulling at least 28".... and the Epic 400 is what... something like 8.9 gpi? That makes for a right stout arrow weight.

Steven: Shot placement and shot selection were definately your downfall on the hog. As dubbya mentioned.. most folks think that hogs are built kinda like whitetails.. and nothing could be further from the truth. The heart and lungs are almost completely behind the shoulder bone, and that shield you hear everyone refering too is a layer of overlapping muscles and cartiledge, coupled with a thick hide. And yes... I have seen it stop arrows dead in their tracks... even from much higher poundage bows.. with appropriate broadheads... I've found buckshot pellets and even a few rifle bullets broken up in big hogs shoulders. You have to get a good quartering away shot, and drive that arrow into the offside shoulder... and lots of times even then you may not get two holes... they are tough....but not invincible.

I'll save any preching... but you definately need to reconsider your broadhead choice at 50#s. Moreover... I'd keep my shots inside 25 yards... inside 20 even better... especially with a weedeater like the Rage on the front of your arrow.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I might have to tend to disagree here. I think with 50#, even a 2" COC would be a stretch, but I'm sure something like an 82nd shooting a 450gr arrow might be able to do it, but MOST bows aren't gonna get it there.
My brother shoots a Bear Element or Instinct(which ever is more expensive) and he shoots Easton Epic 400, 4" feathers and a 100g Rage 2 Blade. He is pulling around 58lbs right now, has been higher and lower. No issues with the Rage.

There is a whole heck of a lot of difference between a 50# draw weight and a 58# draw weight.... And an Easton Epic 400... in order for that to spined right for him.. he must be pulling at least 28".... and the Epic 400 is what... something like 8.9 gpi? That makes for a right stout arrow weight.

Steven: Shot placement and shot selection were definately your downfall on the hog. As dubbya mentioned.. most folks think that hogs are built kinda like whitetails.. and nothing could be further from the truth. The heart and lungs are almost completely behind the shoulder bone, and that shield you hear everyone refering too is a layer of overlapping muscles and cartiledge, coupled with a thick hide. And yes... I have seen it stop arrows dead in their tracks... even from much higher poundage bows.. with appropriate broadheads... I've found buckshot pellets and even a few rifle bullets broken up in big hogs shoulders. You have to get a good quartering away shot, and drive that arrow into the offside shoulder... and lots of times even then you may not get two holes... they are tough....but not invincible.

I'll save any preching... but you definately need to reconsider your broadhead choice at 50#s. Moreover... I'd keep my shots inside 25 yards... inside 20 even better... especially with a weedeater like the Rage on the front of your arrow.
thanks for the tips swamp, im now shooting 60 lbs with a 29 inch drawlength and undertaker heads or magnus stingers
Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

thanks for the tips swamp, im now shooting 60 lbs with a 29 inch drawlength and undertaker heads or magnus stingers

60#s at 29 inches... you can put the Rages back on if you so desire. Just so long as your KE is up over 60 ft/#s... you know you'll be safe. 60 ft/#s of KE is kinda the line of departure for being able to shoot just about whatever broadhead you want to. Keep in mind its a general rule... there are always exceptions... but I think you'll do just fine with those Stingers. I hope the undertakers you are considering are sharper than the ones I looked at last week... I own flatware knives with better edges!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

DT just make sure your pulling the right poundage for the harpon reel