Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys Fine tune your broadheads and arrows?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default How do you guys Fine tune your broadheads and arrows?

What steps do you go through to tune your broadheads and arrows?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you guys Fine tune your broadheads and arrows?

Well for me its pretty simple. Being I already know what size of arrow I shoot that part is done, I've shot the same size arrows for 13 years now. For picking the right arrows this is how I go about it. I take a new BH out of the package or a good used one that I can resharpen and put it on the arrow. I take the arrow and spin it on my finger or finger nail. If it spins very well and smooth its good enough for me. My number one arrow I'll use for hunting will be the one that spins the smoothest of the 4 that I have. After thats all figured out I'll then get my broad heads to shave hair without hardly having to apply any pressure to the arrow when trying to shave my hair on my arm.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I screw a BH on an arrow and spin test it to see if it wobbles. If it does I try another until I find one that spins true with that arrow. Sometimes they just will not spin true. Try another arrow and repeat the process.

Then I shoot every arrow and make sure they shoot to the same exact spot.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

When iused to shoot alum. arrows, if one wouldnt spin I would heat up the insert (hot glue) and adjust it a little bit till I got them tuned the best I could. But with carbons I have a couple that wont spin for anything.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: killadoe

When iused to shoot alum. arrows, if one wouldnt spin I would heat up the insert (hot glue) and adjust it a little bit till I got them tuned the best I could. But with carbons I have a couple that wont spin for anything.
Thats one of the few reason why I don't shoot them things. I don't know anything about tuning a carbon so I can't really help you there, sorry for not being a better help.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.alansarchery.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HomePage/HomeFrameOrig.htm

I like this site and it seperates tuning and fine tuning into groups, punn intended.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I used to shoot Thunderheads I would spintest them and adjust until there was no wobble. Three seasons ago I started using NAP Crossfires and haven't had to tune my arrows, they fly like a field point with no tuning. I do make sure I weigh my arrows to make sure I am shooting consistant weighted arrows, I have a set with feathers and a set with Quickspins that are both weighing 440-445gr.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea i put the broadheads on my arrows and spin them and the one that spins good is the one i use
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the first thing is to use arrow spine charts or one of the computer programs and pick a shaft/arrow that is properly spined for your setup. That's item #1. Cut for length, square the end and install the inserts yourself.

Insert installation is simple and there is a sure fire way to get broadheads straight. Here's how I do carbon arrows. Fist prep the shafts, cleaning the inside of the point end with 91% alcohol and a Q-tip. Now---install your broadheads on the inserts. Use 2-part 24 hour epoxy on the inserts. Install an insert in the shaft (with broadhead attached) and NOW you spin test it and adjust as necessary to get out any wobble. This is a step you can't do if using any type of super-glue. OK--now the arrows are ready

Tuning isn't much of a secret either. You can spend a lot of time messing around with different weight points, fletchings and such, but there is only so much you can do with the arrow. In other words, you don't really need to TUNE an arrow.

You tune the BOW to shoot that arrow. The bow is almost indinitely adjustable. Move the rest left to right, move nocking point (or rest) up and down, Play with draw weight. This much easier than playing around with different rrow components or different arrows. And usually it's free.

Quick Reply: How do you guys Fine tune your broadheads and arrows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.