Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

reasons?

Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default reasons?

i was watching advantage adventures today and noticed tom miranda shoots with no peep..just a kisser...i remember my dad mentioning thats how he shot his bow and thats how i should set mine up...i hear my friends saying all kinds of things yearly about how much they hate peep sites...besides the speed what advantages are there to shooting without one?? is it easy or harder??..i find it hard the way most bow you have to kinda turn your head more than comfortably to see the pins and think maybe a kisser and thats it might be nicer for me...and thats always one less thing to break or malfunction...and i like the idea of that....im always one for something odd to go wrong..i never heard of a scopes crosshairs moving when they adjusted the power but mine did...cost me 2 deer i hit and lost and one clean miss...i was ready to quit hunting until i found out it really wasnt my shooting...what do you think?? are they pretty nessisary and hard not to use or can i learn to shoot accurately with just a kisser?thanx... sorry for all the questions here im just trying to learn about bow hunting....i hate to say it but i dont trust my dad so much on this one subject..he only hunted a few years with a bow and that was years ago..he doesnt know about any new equiptment and still think all release aids are junk...im sure most were in the 80s when he bowhunted but now i doubt there are to many that wont work...thanx...
Old 02-25-2003, 06:16 PM

Default RE: reasons?

I personally do not like hunting with a peep. I have used them in the past and had trouble in low light situations. Which happens to be whrn I have most shot opportunities. I was also not as accurate with the peep. You have to do what is comfortable for you. Try shooting with a peep then try without. I would recommend getting the largest peep you can get to let as much light in as possible.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:17 PM

I have both a peep and kisser. The kisser reminds me to anchor correctly during that exciting moment. After I anchor, I then look through the peep for the shot. Also, the kisser works for me at close range, under 20 yards, or when it' s too dark for the peep or the animal is real close or moving when I may not have time to align the peep. I' m really not concerned with losing a few fps. This is what works for me. Several years ago I shot with only a kisser and before that I anchored at the corner of my mouth with no kisser.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:30 PM

I dont use a peep site or a kisser. I shoot pretty good without them i just need to find the same ancore point every time whice isnt always easy to do but i learned to do it. Ive heard from people that peeps somtimes get in the way and you cant see in low light situations or when rain drops get into . But on the other hand they do make you shoot better most of the time. I think im going to try one this year but im going to get the biggest they have so i can see through it in lowlight situations.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:12 PM

Tom Miranda uses the " Hind Sight" it has a rear crosshair that you center your front pin in. Works like a gun sight. So he doesn' t just use a kisser button.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...i shot with a peep before and really dont like it...felt odd on my head kinda looking to the right unnaturally...i think i will go with just a kisser so i anchor properly...if i dont shoot good i will try a peep...treestandsnyper...thanx i didnt notice anything but the kisser..i know there was nothing else on the string...where does the hind sight go i never heard of them..but i dont know much about bows...
Old 02-25-2003, 07:48 PM
tm
Fork Horn

I' ve had some customers that could shoot real well without a peep for hunting. Not many that can shoot 3D or targets on the top level. The nopeep has helped some but I' ve never seen the hindsight. As far as myself I use the biggest peep I can & haven' t had any trouble.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:33 PM

I' ve used both and really could' nt tell a difference at hunting type ranges, say between 0-25yds. However, from about 25-and up my groups did open up some, but not much.