Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have gut shot a deer?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many have gut shot a deer?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'll own up to it! I've gut shot a few bear and deer and if treated the right way they will most likely be down and out 100 or so away from where you shot them, it may take them a good 10 hours or so to die at times but they sure won't make it. What happens is like Bob said, there system gets poisoned and it slowly kills them. Its a slow death no dought but it does happen every now and then. Make sure if you gut shoot one that you do not track it if possible till the next morning to be on the safe side. To many people jump on these bad hits and push them to the next county.
Ditto here! There is No excuse for losing a Gut shot animal unless you have some bad weather or trouble with predators. I doubt many archers that have killed a ton of animals haven't gut shot at least one.

If you make a mistake handle it right and you'll bring it home.

Dan
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

For most hunters, if you have hunted for an extended amount of time it is inevitable you will gut or pourly shoot a deer, it a fact, it's not that your a crappy shot it just happens sometimes, a deer flinches or drops or leaps or you prematurly hit the trigger, not much you can do ato erase the event but allot you can do to finish the deal and the first thing is watch and wait. Given good time 90% of deer won't go far before laying down. They know they were injured, by what they don't know but they feel something is wrong and they will try to locate water or cover to rest. Given 8-10 hours most deer will either internally bleed from the wound or die from infection. We all know it isn't the most human but it is a fact and your job is to do whatever to locate and recover your trophy as best you can. Let's hope it doesn't happen to you but if it does remember to watch and wait, avoid tempatation of tracking after the shot. Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Given 8-10 hours most deer will either internally bleed from the wound or die from infection.
Actually, I don't believe they will die from infection in 8-10 hours after the injury. Infection will take much much longer to kill a deer.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like someone mentioned earlier, if you hunt long enough, sooner or later your going to gut shoot a deer, no matter how careful you are. Things happen, it sucks, but it is what it is. I have gut shot 2 deer in my life and unfortunately they were both early in my hunting career and i tracked them too early and jumped them never to be found again.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never have gut shot a deer but back in 97' I gut shot a hog that was about 45yds, and he took a step at the exact time I let her go........I never found it.......My father in law and I looked for a little bit but when the animal went to another property we stopped the search right there. The hogs were tearing up my father in laws hay pastures real bad so there really wasn't any love loss, if you know what I mean......I was using the same head I use today 100g vortex pro's.....
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

I have never gut shot a deer in over forty years of hunting, but I don't take shots unless everything looks perfect to me. I have passed on several shots where other maybe have taken deer...and nice bucks.

However I have hit two bucks in the liver. I let one go for 2 hours and bumped him following the trail waited another hour and found him dead. The second one I waited 4 1/2 hours and found he stone dead.

I was sure both were liver shots from the blood on the arrow and very liminted amount of dark red blood on the ground.

One went 80 yards to bed down the first time and 200 yards the second time.

The second buck scored 140 and went 150 yards before any real blood trial. Then traveled downhill with 35 yards of my vechicle to die 300 yards+- from the shot location. Both were shot from a tree stand.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Not really a gut shot, but ... Intentionally I have started an arrow behind the ribs in the guts because of the angle and had it come out under and in frontthe off side shoulder. Quick kill, but the intestine was cut.[:'(][:'(] I was on the ground at 8-10 yards.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have gut shot a doe once and there was little to no blood and we could not find it
Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Intresting thread, but I have a feeling a lot of guys won't own up to doing this for obvious reasons. Anyway,I hit a doe (3 years ago)in the liver, and it came out through the gut on the far side. I looked at my arrow, knew what kind of hit I had gotten, and backed out until the following morning at first light.
I followed what little blood there was and found her dead within 50yrds, beside a real small creek. I think they get dehydrated, and seek out water.
I had the same kind of hit on my first doe that I took with my bow. Got the liver and the guts. She only went about 50 yards, and bdded down, but I still gave her about 2 hours, and then went back and found her right where she bedded.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shot a doe this year with a gut shot. she was about 32 yards out and i forgot the broadheads. BUt it was with my pse typoon , but it was my fault

Quick Reply: How many have gut shot a deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.