Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you know what you want?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Do you know what you want?

Ok, more research. Thanks again in advance for your input.

EXCLUDING bows......Let's say you are going to your pro shop for a certain accessory, whatever that may be. Have you researched different ones on the internet, and pretty much know what you want when you walk in the door....Or, do you not have a clue really and look to the guys behind the counter for advice?

Part II (multiple selection option on)

If your shop does not have what you want, are you willing to wait for it while it is ordered, or do you go somewhere that has it in stock. This scenario is based on the assumption that it is not NEEDED right NOW. I know if you HAVE to have it, yer gonna go get it...

So please vote on whether you know what you want or not, and whether you are willing to wait for it to arrive.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you know what you want?

When I go to an Archery shop I know what I want before I get there, usually what the Archery shop says will not have an effect on what I want being I do know what I'm talking about in most cases, specially Traditional equipment. Depending on the shop I may wait till it comes in and buy it from them if there good people and treat me well. If there a bunch of no it alls like most of the shops around me are I'll just go to the next one who's got what I need and buy it there.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've come to the conclusion that most buyers are definitely buying on impulse when it comes to archery. The only thing that is going to hold someone up from going elsewhere to find it (other shop or internet) is a REALLY good relationship with your clients, and/or someone behind the counter that knows how to sell.

As far as knowing what you want when you walk in the door, I think that you will get skewed results on HNI. I do not think that the majority of archers are doing detailed research online before they buy, I think most see and/or hear about things on TV and in magazines and weigh that info equally with what the shop has to say about certain products.

I know when I was behind the counter at the shop still and people asked me what I use.........that's what they bought the majority of the time. I wasn't the kind of guy to push specific things without being asked, but if people did ask my opinion I would suggest what I personally was using at the time and would explain why.I really sold a lot of stuff that way and people seemed to really listen to what I had to say.

With this said, now that I'm no longer there and am on the consumer side of the counter in shops, I put very little stock into any recommendation that a shop might make to me (depending on who's suggesting). I do my own research and determine what I want, and if someone has something intelligent to say about something else I'll listen, but most of the time it's not going to sway my decision.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This a great series of questions for the shop owners. I research what I want on the internet, but I do not make up my mind until I have touched it and talked to people that I trust who have used it or at the very least been around it. I know there have been several times I have walked into my shop thinking I knew exactly what I wanted and been talked into a different product. My shop does a very good job about being honest and have talked me out of buying anything at all. If it is junk, it is junk and they tell you the way it is. Second part of the question. I will normally wait to have something ordered, but there are times when I just don't feel like waiting and I will go else were, but those time are far and few between. What I will not do is talk to the guys at the shop about a product and then go on-line and order because I could save a few dollars. That is just dirty IMO.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am fortunate to have a great shop very close. I know what I want when i go in, pretty much every time. But, from being there alot and doing work there, I will say that Matt is right, lots of people are buying on impulse. I'm amazed at how much I can sell just by saying, "Well, its what I use." Countless QAD rests and Maxima Hunter arrows are out there just because of that phrase.

One thing I will say that I have noticed, mostly because it is something I absolutely do not do, is call and price check. Their phone rings all the time for price quotes on things, not usually on bows either, but arrows are #1 and I would say that cost of fletching is the #2 question. Really burns me when you see someone at the shop and then they turn up a week later with new arrows from somewhere else after getting a price quote from you.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know what I want and I'm willing to wait.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what I want but I am always willing to take advice from someone who knows more about it than I do. I also typically will wait on my pro shop.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ask you guys whats out there and what works. Then I take all the conflicting info and sit here more confused then ever.
Actually I really appreciate all the expert advice I recieve here.I like to see the product in action before I buy it. I form an opinion then look at stuff first hand. Sometimes this changes my mind for me. I look for fool proof simple products that do the job well. If I want a certain product I will wait to get it. If the pro shop guy tries to sell me something else I will walk out.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM

As far as knowing what you want when you walk in the door, I think that you will get skewed results on HNI.
RJ, I tend to agree with this statement. But, there are literally thousands of people on this forum each and every day that aren't members and do not post. I personally feel like, especially the younger crowd, there is an aweful lot of "comparison shopping" and research being done before they step into the shop. I've seen an increase in this in just the last year and feel like this is an extremely credible way to get a pulse for what people want and are doing.

And in having these questions answered, I can get a pulse for what people are wanting, and we can stock accordingly. There are SOOO many accessories out there, it is impossible to stock everything, unless you're bass pro or cabelas. Which we certainly are not. And, knowing whether folks will wait for what they want or not will help determine how much, and WHAT, to stock.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

with accessories, i order online. do the reasearch and shopping online.

i get a feel of the accessory watching others shoot with them or seeing them in person while im in the shop for something else.

i find the shops overprice the accessories compared to some of the places i can order them from. i dont mind a guy making a buck...but making 10 or more? not outta my wallet. i havent found an accessory i couldnt screw on myself....

when i cant get my arrows to fly true and cant get it tuned to save my life, i'll man up and goto the shop and pay them the money i saved to get me somewhat tuned

but sights, stabs, quiver etc are pretty simple...the rest and anything in the string is all anyone aughta need a shop for....if you can screw on sights or a stab yourself...well.......

im just a poor college kid. if i can find a way to save a couple bucks i will...if that means more tinkering and learning by trial and error in the back yard, well...oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.