Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you know what you want?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you know what you want?

i ask everyone here then research the pros and cons and then buy what i think to best suit me
Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do my research. I'll either know exactly what I want or have the choice between 2-3 items. Unless it's an item I am truly infamiliar with, and the shop guy some how convinces me he knows what he's talking about, I rarely listen to him. And if its a big chain type store they sound like peanuts adults to me.
And typically I want it when I do. I generally don't wait.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what are you gonna call this archery shop you're opening up???
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually know what i want but i will hear other opinions that other people have. And if the shop dosen't have what i want i will get itsomewhere else.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I was thinking about Don and John's?? Sound ok to you? No, honestly, I'm talking to the owner about building a website, and I'm trying to gather information as to how our sales could/would increase/decrease.

And, buckeye told me I was LONG overdue for a decent thread, so.....I started 4......LOL..........
Old 05-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I've come to the conclusion that most buyers are definitely buying on impulse when it comes to archery. The only thing that is going to hold someone up from going elsewhere to find it (other shop or internet) is a REALLY good relationship with your clients, and/or someone behind the counter that knows how to sell.

As far as knowing what you want when you walk in the door, I think that you will get skewed results on HNI. I do not think that the majority of archers are doing detailed research online before they buy, I think most see and/or hear about things on TV and in magazines and weigh that info equally with what the shop has to say about certain products.

I know when I was behind the counter at the shop still and people asked me what I use.........that's what they bought the majority of the time. I wasn't the kind of guy to push specific things without being asked, but if people did ask my opinion I would suggest what I personally was using at the time and would explain why.I really sold a lot of stuff that way and people seemed to really listen to what I had to say.

With this said, now that I'm no longer there and am on the consumer side of the counter in shops, I put very little stock into any recommendation that a shop might make to me (depending on who's suggesting). I do my own research and determine what I want, and if someone has something intelligent to say about something else I'll listen, but most of the time it's not going to sway my decision.
Agree and pretty much mirrors my way of thinking.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I was thinking about Don and John's?? Sound ok to you? No, honestly, I'm talking to the owner about building a website, and I'm trying to gather information as to how our sales could/would increase/decrease.

And, buckeye told me I was LONG overdue for a decent thread, so.....I started 4......LOL..........
Good luck with that, we're talking about doing the same thing at my work. Where do people go to look for anything nowadays? THE WEB, you gotta be there.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

While researching what I want I might go to the shop and ask advice, but I've taught myself not to buy during this stage. I usually end up buying a more expensive product than I originally intendedbut I don't usually regret anything I buy.