Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What company has the best archery website?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What company has the best archery website?

To be honest with you, I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

From a pure graphic design appeal the Hoyt, Mathews, and Bear sites are all about on par with one another. My only critique of the Hoyt site is that it looks too much like Realtree.com, but that's because the same company designed both of them. Also, when you get there there's almost too much stuff going on. I want to know about Hoyt bows first and foremost, not all of that other fluff and BS that's on the home page. IMO the Compound Bows page should be the home page, or at least something close. Mathews and Bear bothdo a better job of at least showing off their flagship bow on the home page. The Bowtech site is terrible from a design perspective. No offense to whoever built it, but their old site looked much better.

From a useability perspective I think Bowtech wins. Menus are well organized and easy to read, pages aren't too cluttered or hard to read. Overall, pretty good. Mathews uses a lot of Flash to "wow" you, but I found it cumbersome to navigate through and use at times. And I know what I'm doing. Your average Joe web surfer may be a little overwhelmed at all that's going on. Same with the Hoyt and Bear sites. At times there's so much going on that my eyes wander all over the page looking for what I want, but finding everything else. Or figuring out that I have to click on little flash menus or dropdowns to see certain items.

From a search engine optimization standpoint they all suck. Some of them may even be beyond sucking from the perspective. Terrible job across the board.

Overall I think the winner for me is going to be Hoyt followed by Bowtech. The Mathews site is probably the most advanced but lacks functionality with the excess use of Flash. The Bear site is good, but just doesn't do much for me. And the Elite site shouldn't even be in this poll. It blows horribly.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What company has the best archery website?

ORIGINAL: Justin

To be honest with you, I'm not a huge fan of any of them.

From a pure graphic design appeal the Hoyt, Mathews, and Bear sites are all about on par with one another. My only critique of the Hoyt site is that it looks too much like Realtree.com, but that's because the same company designed both of them. Also, when you get there there's almost too much stuff going on. I want to know about Hoyt bows first and foremost, not all of that other fluff and BS that's on the home page. IMO the Compound Bows page should be the home page, or at least something close. Mathews and Bear bothdo a better job of at least showing off their flagship bow on the home page. The Bowtech site is terrible from a design perspective. No offense to whoever built it, but their old site looked much better.

From a useability perspective I think Bowtech wins. Menus are well organized and easy to read, pages aren't too cluttered or hard to read. Overall, pretty good. Mathews uses a lot of Flash to "wow" you, but I found it cumbersome to navigate through and use at times. And I know what I'm doing. Your average Joe web surfer may be a little overwhelmed at all that's going on. Same with the Hoyt and Bear sites. At times there's so much going on that my eyes wander all over the page looking for what I want, but finding everything else. Or figuring out that I have to click on little flash menus or dropdowns to see certain items.

From a search engine optimization standpoint they all suck. Some of them may even be beyond sucking from the perspective. Terrible job across the board.

Overall I think the winner for me is going to be Hoyt followed by Bowtech. The Mathews site is probably the most advanced but lacks functionality with the excess use of Flash. The Bear site is good, but just doesn't do much for me. And the Elite site shouldn't even be in this poll. It blows horribly.
I was hoping you would comment, because I know you have experience as well. I actually my thoughts were similar to yours. For me, I voted Hoyt based on my choices, purely on the the fact that they utilized Flash and HTML somewhat well, and for as much interactivity that's going on, the load times weren't too bad either. I agree that the site is a bit cluttered, and the streaming videos probably should be place on a seperate page, but overall, it's pretty nice.

Usuability wise, Bowtech is my choice as well. Nothing fancy or flashy, but the navigation is well organized, and the site provides a lot of information. The design is lacking, but functionality wise, it's well done imho.

Matthews use of Flash was good, but overdone. Additionally, some of the animations were sluggish, but there was still something missing from it. The concept of the bow builder was nice, but not as refined as Hoyts.

Bear from a design point looked the most clean and more outdoor themed.

Elite only had ONE plus for me for why I put it on there: simplicity.