Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hang-Ons Vs. Climbers

Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hang-Ons Vs. Climbers

I was planning on posting something along the lines of this topic, and MO_Bowhunter's post reminded me. I've only ever hunted with climbers since I started bowhunting. I like the mobility they provide, and for most of my bowhunting career, I was inexperienced, and moved locations too much (we're talking sometimes moving a stand 2-3 times in one week). I always dismissed hang-ons due to what I perceived to be too much of a hassle putting up (as well as the lack of portability). I reevaluated my hunting strategies last year and now I feel I need more stand locations rather than a few climbers that I move often, so I'm considering picking up one or two hang-ons. My biggest concerns are ease of setup (but after reading over MO_Bowhunters post, it seems you guys get them up quickly), and safety getting in. I've always felt the screw in steps look so shady, and the ladder strap-ons look even worse. What I REALLY do like about them is the ability to get in and out quietly. I've gotten pretty good at climbing trees quietly, but I still make more noise than I would like, especially getting down in evening stands. There's a few locations I want to hunt this year that really would be tought to exit in the evening if I have to climb the climber down and remove it from the tree. I would rather just hang one on and be done with it.

So, I suppose this post has two purposes. One, I want to see what you guys prefer (climbers or hang ons) and why. Additionally, any recommendations on good (yet affordable, since I'm on a budget) hang-ons would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hang-Ons Vs. Climbers

I just posted it on Mo_Bowhunter's post but I'm looking at the Gorilla Silverback Scout. I think it is 8.5 pounds and costs $90-$100.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i love both...really depends on how long i wanna hunt an location.... i can hunt all day in my summit viper... take a look at the summit copperhead hang on... very portable setup! one stand could do as many locations as you want..jus got to buy extra straps... you can find them on ebay sometimes less than 115 bucks...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I don't usually sit but more than 3hours. Saturday hunts a bit longer, but as you know from one of my earlier posts, I don't do all day sits. I stand most of the time anyways in my climbers, so comfort isn't a major issue with me. I will take a look at those stands mentioned.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the platforms on the Lone Wolf, 1 solid piece, its not the mesh so its dead quiet! You can also level the seat and platform separately so if you have a tree that leaning in a weird way you can still use it! Granted they are a bit more expensive but WELL worth $$$$. I hunt state land here in Wisconsin and I can't leave my stand up overnight and at first it took a little more time than a climber but got the hang of it pretty quick, a couple of times! The 1st time I used it I set it up in the dark!!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt I use all lock on's. They are so stealthy and really not hard at all to set-up. I used to use my summit all the time and I would get on deer and keep moving trees now I stick to the plan and sooner or later they come by. Then when you want to get real serious take a dark garbage bag and stuff it with leaves and strap it to the tree in the offseason like a dummy and the deer will be use to you in that tree come hunting season.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of people will cringe when I say this, but I have tons of cheapo lock on stands. I prefer the $29 model D.ick's Sporting Goods sells and calls the Sentinel, and I think I have8 or 9of them now on my property alone.

They are not the most comfortable stand and don't have the largest platform, but are rated to 250lbs, and do include a 2" thick pad on the seat and enough room to move around and do your thing. They are also TMA certified, come with dual ratchet straps, and every one I haveis solid and quiet. These are not the stands that I want to do an all day sit in, but I primarily use them in my spots that are really close to bedding areas, or destination areas.......the places that I only hunt for a 2-4 hour timeframe, and where I need to be able to slip in and out absolutely silent. Having a bunch of these (and I can actually afford to do so @ $29 each) gives me the ability to have several spots to hunt depending on the primary wind directions, and they are cheap enough that is someone trespasses and steals one I'm not gonna cry over it. I also have several ladder stands on the property for my father and Dan, but for myself I primarily use the lock ons ora climber.

Now for those funnel spots that I'm sitting in for the last 2-3 weeks of season, I'm usually sitting longer than 2-4 hours, and because most of these aren't super close to destination spots or bedding, I usually use the climber in these spots. The climber is more comfortable for an all day sit, and when I'm not so close to a bedding area I can afford to make a bit more noise when setting up.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt I use all the same loc-ons from D I C K 's too. They work great!