Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoke Broadheads!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoke Broadheads!

X2
HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITEDDidn't you post last week you were looking for slick trick broadheads? So what's up with this post.

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I can get slick tricks for half the price and I do not have to worry about pliancy or whether I have the correct tip for the correct animal. Why on earth would I want to add all this extra stuff into using a broadhead? If anything, I want to simplify my bowhunting not make it more complex.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I even posted this... I was just letting you know that there was a new broadhead companie out... Well not to new but they came out pretty recentally
Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

X2
HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITEDDidn't you post last week you were looking for slick trick broadheads? So what's up with this post.

I can get slick tricks for half the price and I do not have to worry about pliancy or whether I have the correct tip for the correct animal. Why on earth would I want to add all this extra stuff into using a broadhead? If anything, I want to simplify my bowhunting not make it more complex.
Yes sir! I cannot legally use smoke broadheads in Oregon. They are considerd a expandable and Oregon does allow expandables for big game animals!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

X2

Yes sir! I cannot legally use smoke broadheads in Oregon. They are considerd a expandable and Oregon does allow expandables for big game animals!
Man, that sucks. You're a pro staffer for a company and you can't even use their product? That's a shame.

I am a huge proponent of expandable broadheads, but my main purpose for choosing them is the oversized cutting diameters I can get with them, so the 1 1/8" cut on the smoke doesn't interest me. I might be interested in the 1 1/4" cut broadheads, but now SlickTrick has the GrizTrick in the same diameter. If it shoots well that would be my choice.

Looks like a cool design though. Good luck with the product.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

looks good, im scared of the price, and that they dont open into a target
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

I had a guy at an archery shop show me those and he said that the blades once shot into an animal they would not fold back on their own and would cut backwards,the reason for both sides being sharpened.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

I honestly woudnt be a bit afraid to use them... But I cant pay 40+ for a bh.

[align=center]FACTS AND MYTHS[/align]

We have gotten a number of inquiries about the deployment of the Smoke Broadhead in specific targets. There were concerns that if the broadhead doesn’t deploy in a target (as we note on our packaging and on the website), it won’t deploy in a live animal. THIS IS A MYTH! I would like to share the following in order to educate people about the Smoke’s advanced deployment system.

[align=center]FACTS/MTYHBUSTERS[/align]

The Smoke Broadhead was designed for larger game like white tail deer, hogs, elk, mule deer, bear, etc. Due to the extensive testing we have done, you will see below that I have specifically designed a tip for small game with thinner hides, feathers, lighter body masses, or rigid surfaces (including targets). This is currently in production and is anticipated to be available on our website soon.
With the Smoke, I set my testing standards to parallel the industry standards. The target needs hide to be on a pliable backing like the industry standard ballistic gelatin. This most closely resembles a live target in a hunting situation because of the resistance and give of the target. This allows the Smoke Broadhead to create front end load for deployment as it is pushing through the hide into the pliable ballistic gelatin and/or body mass before it deploys and enters the target. After it is deployed and enters the target, the Smoke frontal tip creates a hydrofoil which minimizes friction down the arrow shaft and allows for extreme penetration.
The reason the Smoke Broadhead will not go off in cardboard/foam types of targets is because the surface area of cardboard/foam is not hydrated and does not flex. It has a rigid surface area which disallows the puckering/pliancy of the target which is needed for the Smoke Broadhead to deploy and lock open. A rigid surface will disallow the give in the target that allows the blades to lock open. The blades will open; however, they will not reach the locking position; and therefore, will close before they have a chance to lock (especially with today’s high speed compound and cross bows). The slight amount of pliancy in the animal’s hide enables the blades to deploy and lock open.
For smaller game such as fox, turkeys, etc., I have produced the Smoke Tommy Knocker turkey tip. This is a wider and flatter tip that screws on to the end of the Smoke. This tip also will enable the Smoke Broadhead to open in foam/rigid targets.
Also in production and anticipated to be available soon is a 25 grain bushing that can be screwed behind the tip of the Smoke Broadhead. If you want to practice, simply remove the blades which weigh 25 grains and attach the bushing. When you are ready to go hunting, remove the bushing and insert the blades. This bushing also accommodates archers who prefer a 125 grain broadhead.
Larger game with heavier hide require the Smoke triangular cutting tip. You will see the difference between the Smoke and the Tommy Knocker turkeytip and the effectiveness that each has on larger and smaller game, respectively.
What if you hit a rib?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

If they do not open on a foam target I am not buying into them! Hell my rages open when I shot them threw paper!
X2...I know what my NAP Spitfires will do...good looker though!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

I had a guy at an archery shop show me those and he said that the blades once shot into an animal they would not fold back on their own and would cut backwards,the reason for both sides being sharpened.
No... The reason that they have both sides of the blade sharpend is so that if for some reason it doesn't pass through it will cut a back cut out of the animal and that leads to a shorter blood trail.

You just have to clean all the meat and crud off of the blades and then they fold right back up and ready to shoot again!

I agree with everyone they are over priced. but they are a really good broadhead but I will just have to wait untill july and tell ya'll haw the ramcats shoot! now those things look awesome!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

looks good, im scared of the price, and that they dont open into a target
Yeah I don't know the reason for that but they sure do work on turkey!

Quick Reply: Smoke Broadheads!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.