Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Day off + Turkeys = Stoked! --updated/pics

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Day off + Turkeys = Stoked!

yep smack a big one and show us some pics
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

All in all another successful spring Turkey hunt! I got to Full draw on a big ole Tom with my Longbow, from the ground, no blind and at at 12 yards! I set out what I wanted to do and scored on some nice Morels!!!!!

Well I had one of my best ever hunts but no Tom killed. I had em gobbling every where off the roost and then they clammed up! Run & Longbowin' most of the day and stalking and listening. I kicked up a few birds which was cool, a hen off her nest and 2 different Toms. Yesterday evening I got a bit aggressive with the calling and wouldn't you know it, I had a Tom come running over the hill to me like it was on a string! I was standing in the woodline about 5 yards and he came just to the outside off the woods and stopped. I was starting to get pretty fired up, hoping to get my first shot at an animal with my Longbow, I was ready! Like I said he stopped at about 12 yards and stood there for a few minutes looking into the woods for the hot hen. Then he decided to bed down in the tall grass, for 2 hours, just staring into the woods!!!!! I was standing there with 2 trees and some ground cover between us, for 2 hours, unbelievable!! He starts to get up and walk into my shooting lane I picked out, I get to full draw on him, one more step, wait, wait then..... cluck, cluck cluck... I get busted by 4 Turkeys that came in behind me that I had no idea they were there. I heard some leaves rustling but didn't turn to look, Bummer. From the warnings he squats in the tall grass again because of the warning clucks the other birds. They walk off and he is hiding for another hour, gets up again stands there looking into the woods again and walks straight away from me with no shot! What a rush, talk about shaking with Turkey fever, I had it, I love it!

I did find about 7 big Morels which were very tasty! I also had a Coyote that I spotted at 150 yards and called in. He was at 60 yards and closing in fast when he got down wind of me, I was busted, he was gone! Pretty cool!

While I was stalking along a small river that snaked thru the woods I look up and see a Bird still on the roost! I stalk up to with in 15 yards and get a better look thru the clearing just in time to see it swoop down into the river and snatch up some breakfast right in front of me, a Bald Eagle, VERY COOL! The fish he caught was big enough to feed his whole family!

I'm hoping to get out once more over the weekend!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

neat story
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Cool story.Nice looking setup you have.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! Recurver, its a pretty good hunting set up! The few hunts that it has been on its getting it battle scars!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool Story. Sounds like you had a great time. Good luck this weekend!!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: npockat32

Cool Story. Sounds like you had a great time. Good luck this weekend!!
Thanks, I'm headed out in the morning to chase the Birds again. This will probably be my last hunt until the fall season, unless I have a pesky Coyote around the cabin wreaking havok over the summer!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck.