Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think it hurts your herd

Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do you think it hurts your herd

To only kill the trophy bucks and to leave the smaller bucks? Do you think that over time it will hurt the size of the deer you can grow?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Do you think it hurts your herd

No.

Over time you will see more, larger bucks. At the same time, if you are keeping the number of does in check, you'll have competition for breeding rights and a better herd overall.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM

No, you just need to know which bucks to cull out every so often.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't grow deer, I like mine well aged

Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not even even a thought if you ask me! Like Greg said you will improve your bucks size wise by shooting only the big boys or the bigger bucks. How is your buck herd going to get bigger size wise if a person keeps taking out the little guys? It won't happen. Another thing Greg said too you also have to manage the doe herd as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

How could it be adversely affected (by what you describe)?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Where I was coming from is, you always hear about genes this and genes that. Well if you are shooting the deer with the best genes all the time do you think it may effect the herd that way. I guess thats where smart culling comes into play.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

The fact you let that deer get old and you could tell what his genes are, is a good thing He got to breed a bit, and no one can Cull a wild heard. It's impossible, too many varibles. Only in a HF can "culling" be done.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

When people refer to a deers genetics, they have to understand that the deer has the same genes the day it was born till the day it dies. The only difference is that a mature deer has had the time that it takes for it to achieve its maximum potential that the genes allow it. Killing young bucks does nothing to alter the genes. Passing on younger smaller bucks allows those deer to reach their full potential, therefore you will see more and larger deer.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

To only kill the trophy bucks and to leave the smaller bucks? Do you think that over time it will hurt the size of the deer you can grow?
You are refering to killing only the largest deer of X age class - over time in theory, since the deer you kill get less chance to breed - the overall size of X age class will go down.

I do not think this is true. 1) Many bucks are able to breed a lot of does before being harvested. 2) Does have 50% of the genetics of any offspring they produce and it is hard to tell a doe with large antler genetics! 3) Not all the 'big' bucks get shot - not even a large proportion of them every year in my area. If you took 100% of all 3.5 year olds grossing over 140 out in my area, every year, and left the smaller ones - I think it would still take many many years to notice anything. Survival of the fittest(which is what this concept is) takes a loooong time for certain genetic trends to become mainstream.

Quick Reply: Do you think it hurts your herd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.