Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think it hurts your herd

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you think it hurts your herd

ORIGINAL: Germ

The fact you let that deer get old and you could tell what his genes are, is a good thing He got to breed a bit, and no one can Cull a wild heard. It's impossible, too many varibles. Only in a HF can "culling" be done.
I agree!! I hate that word cull!!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the wild it is impossible to manage the genetics. Young bucks relocate at 1 year old. New and different genetics will always be introduced. Mother nature has her genetic management plan. Who knows, maybe an inferior buck mixed with the right doe could produce a monster rack. The doe is said to be half responsable for the rack of her fawn.

To answer your question : NO
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

When people refer to a deers genetics, they have to understand that the deer has the same genes the day it was born till the day it dies. The only difference is that a mature deer has had the time that it takes for it to achieve its maximum potential that the genes allow it. Killing young bucks does nothing to alter the genes. Passing on younger smaller bucks allows those deer to reach their full potential, therefore you will see more and larger deer.
x2. That is exactly correct. A 2.5 year old buck mating with a doe will pass on the same genes as when he is 5.5 years old. The biggest difference is you've given him 3 more years of reproduction plus three more years for maturity to show what his genes are made of.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

No. Over time you will see more, larger bucks. At the same time, if you are keeping the number of does in check, you'll have competition for breeding rights and a better herd overall.
x2

If you constantly shoot young deer, you dont allow an age structure to be established in your herd. Thus, your herd will be comprised of all young and immature animals. You will not have the balance that comes with a natural herd structure, such as age and dominance.

Shooting deer in the "last half" of their life span will allow each deer to establish him or herself and contribute to the herd. Those animals will have done "their part" for the herd and the eco-system in that area. Theaverage high-endlife-span of a deer on a hunted parcel is what, 4.5-5.5yo, with 3.5 being closer to the truth...

For arguements sake, lets state 6yo as the peak age for a deer(although that same deer could live to 8 or even 10 with little or no stress, hunting pressure and so on).

A management minded hunter should try to only harvest deer that have reached 80% of their lifespan.
Hmmm....if you are decimating the younger deer and leaving the bigger bucks you are certainly establishing an age structure in the herd. How will there only be young bucks left if thats what you are killing?

If you are truly into herd management and have the resources to accomplish such a monumental task, you would be out there identifying as many bucks as possible and then killing the aging bucks when their racks start showing some degeneration. This would take several years of constant observation and is near impossible for the average land/lease owner.

Take a look at how hunting inGermany works and you will see the above paragraph in action. Their leases are 10-15 years and the hunt master or lease owner is in charge of multiple hunters that are in the fields daily studying the racks of the herd. The decision is made before the season on which deer are to be taken and they stick to it.Rarely will they let you take an animal of your choice.

That being said, management in regards to bucks is irrelevant in the majority of situations. Shoot whatever floats you boat or fill your freezer.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

No..you just need to know how to identify an odd ball and nock them out....however...I think every deer will grow something good if you let them get to 4.5.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

No..you just need to know how to identify an odd ball and nock them out....however...I think every deer will grow something good if you let them get to 4.5.
I would have to disagree with that there are some bucks out there that will never amount to anything it does have alot to do with genetics my muzzle loader buck this year was a prime example i have his sheds from the last 2 years which put his age around 5 1/2 when i shot him in the 3 years that i knew this deer he may have only grew 15" in mass and circumfrance. I also piked up a shed from another buck this year that i have the same side from last year no noticeable differance and he will likely be a 3 pointer this year as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "culling that Germ was refering to on the first page is called Directional Selection. He is right that you can't "cull" a natural herd they must bein a High Fence encloser. The only places where Directional Selection has taken place in the wild are in extremely secluded areas usually islands like the galopagos.