Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1 Year to Proficient?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Default 1 Year to Proficient?

I am planning a May 2009 Bear hunt in Alberta. My buddies are using their bows. I dont own one and havent shot one more then 10 times in my life. I typically hunt with a Rifle but I since they are hunting with bows I already know I will hear a ration ofcrap from them about hunting with a rifle especially if I get skunked or kill a lesser bear. Do you think its possible to get proficient enough in 11 months to hunt bear from a tree stand?

I am not opposed to spending the dough on a good bow and am willing to put in the time practicing (I go to the gun range 3-4 times per month, and could shoot a bow in my back yard) but I dont want to wound a bear or waste my money.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Default RE: 1 Year to Proficient?

You could absolutely get good enough in 11 months.

It just takes practice, practice, practice.

Get to know your equipement well, and you should have no problem
Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you can become proficient in that amount oftime. I bought my first bow in Februarylast yearand took my first deer on 01 October, opening day of bow season. I'm not saying I was good, but I was definitely proficient enough to put the arrow where it needed to go out to 30 yards. As has already been stated, it takes practice, and should practice every way you can imagine... standing, sitting, kneeling, from a tree stand, in a cross wind, with a head wind and a tail wind. You've got plenty of time.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's more than enough time to get good with a bow. Practice is the magic word though. Good luck to you.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, no question.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, you can. Like mentioned practice, practice, practice! But let me add that it must be good practice; I would find some one to help you get started with the basics of good form.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 03psd

I am planning a May 2009 Bear hunt in Alberta. My buddies are using their bows. I dont own one and havent shot one more then 10 times in my life. I typically hunt with a Rifle but I since they are hunting with bows I already know I will hear a ration ofcrap from them about hunting with a rifle especially if I get skunked or kill a lesser bear. Do you think its possible to get proficient enough in 11 months to hunt bear from a tree stand?

I am not opposed to spending the dough on a good bow and am willing to put in the time practicing (I go to the gun range 3-4 times per month, and could shoot a bow in my back yard) but I dont want to wound a bear or waste my money.
I think first of all you should use the weapon of YOUR choice. Don't let your buddies sway you to do what they want you to do.

If you choose to bow hunt, I believe you could be prepared if you are dedicated.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can be a pro in 4 weeks......well plenty good to shoot a bear from a treestand.

11 months? no worries.

and I agree, use a gun if you want, you can probably bring both if you wanted too.

I've learned though you should probably have taken game before you book a hunt/use a weapon that has been untested......

ie have shot a deer with a bow before you book that big elk hunt with a bow out west.....etc...etc...or at least it would significantly help to have....
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

The quickest way to being ready is to make sure you get setup correctly to start with. Get good equipment and get it set up right, then focus on form and learning what you need to learn.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 3 weeks I will go on my 3 rd bear hunt...I was successful with bow on my first 2...and I will take a gun this year....because I have not experienced it with a gun...

If you're going on a traditional bear hunt with bait and a stand that puts you in bow range...its a no brainer...just be patient and send that arrow through the lungs...bears are not as physically tough as people say....My Hoyt is only pushing 265 fps and it blows through like butter with expandable heads...

If you can hold 2- 3 inch groups at 25 yards you're fine...get practicing...most of it is mental and in your brain.....when that bear hits the zone you will draw with confidence...

The sound of the death cry of a bear will make the hairs on your ____ stand up...its not a rumor...its true...

By the bug suit

Quick Reply: 1 Year to Proficient?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.