Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

creating a pond?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Default creating a pond?

I'm aquiring 20 acres of property abutting next to 80 my parents own.A small portion is currently pasture and has two ponds, the rest is wooded. One of the ponds is right next to the woods, is a triangle about 75 feet per side and maybe 4-5 feet deep. A perfect spot for early season bowhunting. The ponds holds water for 2-3 days after a good rain and then goes dry, so I would like to line it so it holds water. I've been researching online and for a pond this size, I'm looking at spending close to $3000 just for the liner. WAY WAY more than I am willing to spend especially when their guarantee is only 10 years.

SO what, if any, are some cheaper alternatives for me? I wouldnt even need to line the whole thing, maybe just the lowest part. Some things that have been suggested to me....buy the heavy duty waterproof/freezeproof tarps that are used to line ice skating rinks (I can get a 50x100 tarp of this for about $500), bury a plastic kiddie pool in the middle, just bury your basic old tarp, haul in clay (not very cost effective and not a guarantee). The ice rink liner sounds interesting.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: creating a pond?

I have no idea how much this stuff is, but I saw this online and thought I'd share it with you.
"The little known, but widely used industrial mineral called "Wyoming" bentonite can create a natural "hydraulic barrier" in a wide range of industrial, commercial and consumer applications. From industrial effluent lagoons to stormwater retention basins to animal feedlot settling ponds to decorative water features around your home, bentonite-based, hydraulic barriers offer the opportunity for one to easily construct a pond or lagoon."
Just so you know, if you didn't already... this stuff is used in "clumping" claycat litter.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have looked into the same thing and yes its expensive. There are some that used old pool lines for their pond liners with good success!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bentonite. Forgive me if you already know what it is, but it's a soil that truly holds water. There is a lot of it in Wyoming basically it can pour down rain and it gets slicker than and crap, but a 1/2" under the surface, it's bone dry.

It's a very common practice to use this in lieu of pond liners. Also, you can bring in clay soil and have it compacted. You'd be amazed at what a difference that would do.

Check this out, you can also have truckloads brought in.
http://www.sturgismaterials.com/Sturgis%20Materials%20Sodium%20Bentonite.pdf
Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

stripping away the topsoil to leave the clay may help, also prevent weeds etc...from growing, may consider doing this in most of the drainage area, or at least where the water is to gather.....

Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM

put jello in the water and when it gets cold youll have a snack stawberrys my favorite.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM

We do alot of aqwua culture around here and that stuff is pretty pricey 3000 for that size pond dosent sound to bad
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Hey Hey wait a minute! I dig these for a living, get ahold of me. I dont know what part of the state you live in but pm me.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blackfish

put jello in the water and when it gets cold youll have a snack stawberrys my favorite.
I would go with either cherry or orange!lol[8D]