Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever just hung "that" stand ?

ya know i was thinkin about this the other day... for the past 12 years ive hunted the same ground... an every good buck ive killed has been in a stretch 300 yds wide by prolly half mile.. ive taken 1 6pt, 2 7pts, 1 8pt an one 9 pt.....there not monsters but there real nice for my area... thats not countin what other family members have killed an missed.... for some reason inever start to hunt this area til i get desperate.. i need to make a pact to start earlier this year an hold out for maybe a bigger one.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, 2 years ago I hunt "that" stand. One buddy hunted it opening morning and killed a 138" 10pt. Then about a month later my other buddy hunted it and killed a 132" 8pt.

I had that feeling this year the morning I killed my buck... But it was about 40 minutes before I killed him that I hung it
Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really pumped about one stand we recently removed and replaced.
The old stand was a great stand, but was very open large ladder style and the mature deer were really skirting it.

It is in old woods about 250 yards from a soybean field and CRP heading to the corner of the field.
It is also where 2 ditches meet up and provides a lot of natural cover (and has a couple good annual rubs).

Last year saw a 6 point (unfortunately wounded with my bad shot from which I hopefully learned a lesson),
a fork, two different spikes (could have shot all of those), and the big 11 point in our woods (no shot,
even though rifle hunting).

We took out the creeky, large ladder stand and moved back from that stand and the prime area by
about 15 feet. The new stand is a Summit lock-on that is well hidden in the middle of a double trunked
tree. I plan on putting up a small backdrop between the trees (for no chance of silhouette).
It is a lot better entrance for stealth and the wind.

If I do start thinking about October, that is the stand I think about.

Also scouted a hot place for a climber. Need to get in there and clear a few lanes soon before it gets
too close to the season. Found some trails that look like cattle trails where canal turns over 90 degrees.
Will have trouble being stealthy, so it will probably have to be an afternoon stand.

Working on updating gear right now.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had one of those places about 6 years ago. I refered to it as the hub on a wagon wheel and the deer came in on the spokes. i was in the focal point. That spot was good to me but it got mined out and is now gone []would you believe it was named bloodcreek (hince my user name)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC, that sucks to lose your honey hole.
Gas wells are doing that where I live (but not hunt) to a lot of hunters I know.
They go in there and put in a 3 acre drill pad with roads, electric lines, pipelines, etc. on every 20 acres.
That combined with large increase in human activity kills the area. Of course, most people are making too
much $$$ to really lose much sleep over it.

Last year I convinced my dad not to cut the timber. Falling timber prices and that stand helped my argument. [8D]

BTW, yes, I understand thinning woods can be beneficial, but we have a lot of crop, crp, mitigation, etc.,
and our woods has a dense undergrowth of palmettos (unfortunately for hunting), but good for deer
feeling safe bedding and moving.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

While shed hunting I found one of those just barely noticeable trails that you know only one buck probably uses. It's located just to the north of a bedding area and also just out of sight of an old built stand I hunted last year. I was this guy about 2 seasons ago when I rattled him in. He stayed just inside the cedars not offering a shot.

I'll be waiting for the right wind about early Nov!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Bartender

My bad but it will come quick.
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

4 1/2 months until I am in it.
Oooh, thats it ?

You REALLY shouldnt have mentioned time.....[:@]
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a couple of stands that a guy could probably shoot P&Y bucks off of every year if he were lucky enough. These 2 stands are in awesome locations, there both excellent travel routes. Some years there better then others. These 2 stands hardly ever come down, only reason they do is to reposition them and make sure there still in tip top shape so know one gets hurt, both stands are 25' up.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think every stand I hang I have that feeling, that is why I put the stand there

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.