Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey guys tell me what to expect!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey guys tell me what to expect!

I will be heading to Robs the 16th of May to hunt turkeys and I have never done the turkey hunting thing before. So my question to you is what should I expect? Other than hunting with Rob.LOL[8D]
Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey guys tell me what to expect!

Don't expect them to come running to your decoys or calls, like on the dvd's. In the real world, that rarely happens.[:'(]It might get better later in the season when the hens are sitting on the nests. Sometimes you can catch a lonely gobbler in the right mood, and he'll run you over.

Most of the time we end up hunting them like deer. Setting up on their travel routes and ambushing them.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am just hoping to see one let alone get a shot. Im just gonna follow robs lead. We get one in range im pretty confident I can make the shot! For some reason it never works out like on t.v.[:@]
Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

uh...hopefully not snow

You should expect to be addicted, right after you hear the first gobble in a hunting situation
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Spike

Although I have yet to take my first bird w/a bow (3+ years)I can tell you with 100% certainty that MN/Kyle is right about being addicted to the experience of being in the turkey woods!! Actually words can't do justice to what I feltwhenI heard that first gobbler in the woods. I've been fortunate ?enough to film 3 different people take a bird, and hopefully this year will be my turn [&:]
Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Expect to be dissapointed at times. Trust me, you will sometimes get so frustrated with those birds that you may even think of giving up. But when you finally trick one into cooperating with you, man it's the best feeling in the world. Practice your calls....ALOT!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Expect to be dissapointed at times. Trust me, you will sometimes get so frustrated with those birds that you may even think of giving up. But when you finally trick one into cooperating with you, man it's the best feeling in the world. Practice your calls....ALOT!
For now I'm gonna let the calling up to Rob!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Expect to become addicted! This is only my second year, and both years I've called in a big gobbler, and this year I actually got a shot off...uh...twice...and well, yeah I missed. Anyways...it's a blast Tim...you're going to love it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im excited to give it a whirl and, I think I got a good turkey hunter behind me who is gonna try his hardest to get me hooked!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what weapon you are going to bring, but if you are planning to run and gun plan to cover a lot of territory and wear good footwear conducive to this.

I don't know how pressured Rob'sbirds are down there, but if they aren't pressured too bad they may indeed come in on a bee line. It's hard to tell. That week has traditionally been one of the best weekends I have had, usually most of the hens are on nests at that point and the gobblers are back out cruising and looking for lonely hens. Hopefully you get to see some strutting and spitting/drumming and a great show. That's what makes it all worthwhile.........