Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This one puzzles me a bit!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default This one puzzles me a bit!

I had mentioned a couple weeks or so ago that I found 2 different bucks hit on the road where I do my hunting. Both of these bucks were easily 160lb deer and they both had at least 2 inches of new antler growth. This is where it gets a bit confusing. My dad called me up today and told me he's got a button buck from last year coming into there yard that has 2 inch growth already. There's an 8 point from last year that comes into his yard also and that 8 point which lost its rack is now growing new antlers also but there hardly coming out of its head. The button buck from last year has twice the growth already this year then the soon to be 3.5 year old has this year so far. The reason he knows these are the same deer is that they feed them in the winter months with corn in a small water bird bath 10 yards from there house. I would of guessed that the 8 point would grow faster then the button buck from last year. Puzzling to me!!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This one puzzles me a bit!

That is a bit weird. You also have to remember that button bucks dont shed their antlers. Essentially, they are working on their first rack for a year and a half so hes naturally going to have a bit of a head start on that 3.5yr. old. Also, that 8 pt. may have shed late and his regrowth process may have started late.

On a side note. It would be cool for your dad to document the growth of these two bucks, provided they continue to keep coming into his yard. Take photos of them both every 2-3 days of the next 3 and a half months and set them aside and compare them. It will be amazing to see that 3.5 year olds antlers take off. A buck under the right conditions can grow up to 1/4th of an inch daily.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

There done feeding them now so I'm guessing in a week or 2 they won't be coming in no more. It sure would be neat to take pics like you said every few days to see how they both grow.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy....maybe the button buck has mega genes.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what puzzles me: It's almost impossible to break a deer antler off. You can pound the he11 out of it and it won't break off. Then in the winter they just fall off on their own. I understand how the biologists explain it, but it is still weird when you think about it.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is weird, Schultzy ....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Here's what puzzles me: It's almost impossible to break a deer antler off. You can pound the he11 out of it and it won't break off. Then in the winter they just fall off on their own. I understand how the biologists explain it, but it is still weird when you think about it.
Leonard Lee Rue III told a story of a friend he had and his captive buck. It was well into March and maybe even April if I remember right, and he was curious as to why the buck hadnt shed yet. So he proceeded to take a steel pipe out and try to knock them off. After a heck of a blow to the bucks rack it knocked the buck off its feet and left a nasty sting in his friends hand Im sure. Still to no avail. Then a few days later he watched that bucks rack shed off easily.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Leonard Lee Rue III told a story of a friend he had and his captive buck. It was well into March and maybe even April if I remember right, and he was curious as to why the buck hadnt shed yet. So he proceeded to take a steel pipe out and try to knock them off. After a heck of a blow to the bucks rack it knocked the buck off its feet and left a nasty sting in his friends hand Im sure. Still to no avail. Then a few days later he watched that bucks rack shed off easily.
That is really interesting...amazing
Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

How about antelope and others that cast (throw) their horns off!!??

That's even weirder yet........... to me.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Fawnbucks shed their buttons just likeany racked buck. While we have never found a button... we have found winter killed fawns that had shed their buttons.

Antelope sheds the sheath ( outside layerof the horn ) but not the whole horn to my knowledge.It is weird.

Tim

Quick Reply: This one puzzles me a bit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.