Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This one puzzles me a bit!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This one puzzles me a bit!

Are you sure about that Duke? There are several conditions that can influence when a buck will shed his antlers. For one, social status can change. Within a healthy herd, dominant bucks will have been replaced every 2-3 years generally. Dominant bucks shed far sooner than subordinate bucks because of the stresses their body endures in becoming that dominant buck. A 1.5 yr. old 6 pt. may not shed his first rack well into February or March. However, once he becomes the main man in his land, he'll shed far sooner..let's say January 10th for example. Also climate conditions play a role as well. A harsh cold snap or extended periods of snow cover or any other weather related incident that causes stress on the body will force him to drop early.

If you can show me some documentation or research that says bucks will generally drop around the same day within a few days I will stand corrected.
RockinChair.. that's where I stated (as long as he has health.) I thought that was self-explanatory.

As far as documentation. I've read it much more than once in my lifetime. But.. because you ask... here's an article written by Alsheimer on the subject. Although he only includes mature bucks in this article... La Rue has documented it for years with several age groups.

The Blood of Autumn.. Charles J. Alsheimer. Deer and deer hunting magazine.

Sorry no link. I just no longer do another mans searching. I've wasted too
many hours doing this over the past.

One last note.. I too notice the same occurances. And fully believe its mostly true. However mother nature doesn't follow a written book and each whitetail is different from the next. This way.. the deer survives. It would be easier to hunt deer that all behaved the same way.. wouldn't it..??
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

Are you sure about that Duke? There are several conditions that can influence when a buck will shed his antlers. For one, social status can change. Within a healthy herd, dominant bucks will have been replaced every 2-3 years generally. Dominant bucks shed far sooner than subordinate bucks because of the stresses their body endures in becoming that dominant buck. A 1.5 yr. old 6 pt. may not shed his first rack well into February or March. However, once he becomes the main man in his land, he'll shed far sooner..let's say January 10th for example. Also climate conditions play a role as well. A harsh cold snap or extended periods of snow cover or any other weather related incident that causes stress on the body will force him to drop early.

If you can show me some documentation or research that says bucks will generally drop around the same day within a few days I will stand corrected.
RockinChair.. that's where I stated (as long as he has health.) I thought that was self-explanatory.
I misunderstood you as well dukemichaels, as even though dominance or stress may change, a buck can still be in good health. Perhaps in a changeless environment in which there are no stresses or unforseen disturbances in the basic biological cycle of the buck, then the antlers will be dropped annually around the same time. However, as Lee Rue says, "The one thing we have learned is that many different factors determine the timing of the casting of a buck's antlers."
Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

As far as documentation. I've read it much more than once in my lifetime. But.. because you ask... here's an article written by Alsheimer on the subject. Although he only includes mature bucks in this article... La Rue has documented it for years with several age groups.

The Blood of Autumn.. Charles J. Alsheimer. Deer and deer hunting magazine.

Sorry no link. I just no longer do another mans searching. I've wasted too many hours doing this over the past.
Touche. While I haven't read the article yet, Alsheimer and Rue III are my biggest mentors and I study their works religiously and seeing as you study them as well I will take your word for it.

Like I said.. I havent read the article.. but I still find that hard to believe with so many variables that can come into play. Social structure being the biggest with possibility that a once dominant buck will drop his antlers at the same when he was subordinate as he will when he was dominant. I look forward to reading the article. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I misunderstood you as well dukemichaels, as even though dominance or stress may change, a buck can still be in good health. Perhaps in a changeless environment in which there are no stresses or unforseen disturbances in the basic biological cycle of the buck, then the antlers will be dropped annually around the same time. However, as Lee Rue says, "The one thing we have learned is that many different factors determine the timing of the casting of a buck's antlers."
I sometimes am my own enemy. And I try to write as little as possible in my posts... and then usually have to write longer anyway since someone asks a Q back. But again.. absolutely.. whitetail casting and re-growing can be halted or lessened or whatever due to overall health of the individual. Which yes.. does include its own physical and social health. I just call it health... it saves me writing time...
Old 04-27-2008, 11:45 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

ORIGINAL: TJF

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

ORIGINAL: TJF

Fawnbucks shed their buttons just likeany racked buck. While we have never found a button... we have found winter killed fawns that had shed their buttons.

Antelope sheds the sheath ( outside layerof the horn ) but not the whole horn to my knowledge.It is weird.

Tim

This must be a new strain of antelope!!
Do a search on the net. Seems the only new strain of antelope is apparently theone your familar with.

Tim
Well i also learned something today thanks Tim
It has been a learning day for me also with button bucks and shedding. Congrats again on your recent finds and good luck bear hunting.

Tim