Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short Draw Length

Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Default RE: Short Draw Length

Thanks davidmil, I have been doing my homework but the more I learn the more questions I have. Well I made it to Gander Mtn. and the tech set me up a Rock in 25". It was way to short. So much for the drama. He reset it to 26" and that worked better. Shot a few and felt OK, but since the 25" curse had been lifted I had him set up a Justice in 26. Felt much nicer. Found myself eyeing the Marquis. Didn't dare ask him to set it up. Forget about some high presure Pro Shop sales guy trying to get me to dig deeper, I'm doing it to myself. I did like the fact that in watching the tech set up these two bows, that the Diamonds are easily adjustable. I am going to try and see the other man tomorrow. Although he is a Mathews and Bowtech Rep, he sounded as if he was ready to take the time to work with me in finding something that fit me. And he seemed to act as if he would have a better seection to choose from. It really is hard for me to fathom the kind of money I am even considering spending on a hmmmm "major necessity of my life". What if I don't even like it? owwwwww. I have been a rifle hunter most of my life. Last year I went in and bought a new deer rifle. When I walked in the door at the gun shop I knew exactly which two rifles I was going to look at. I compromised one that was on sale in a synthetic stock. I knew both rifles would shoot the same for me but the money I saved from the sale price and the reduction in stock quality, I was able to upgrade my optics to the next better level. It took me thirty minutes to decide, within an hour I was sighted in.

This quest is proving to be frustrating , confusing, fun? interesting! but most of all a learning experience. I appriciate all the imput. It nice to find a bunch of people so willing to help a poor guy out.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Bowtech and Mathews has been covered, but try the Hoyt Katera, you can get a lot out of that bow even w/ a short draw length. It's draw starts at 24. I'm shooting 346 gr. 302 fps w/ 27.5" draw!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 AM

If you can shoot 26" I would also say take a look at the X-Force bows by PSE. I have a 26" draw as well and only shoot 60# bows, and let me tell ya these bows have what the doctor ordered for us short armed guys.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 AM

Bowhunting is based on patience, Well patience has paid off. Finally met the last gentleman yesterday. When I spoke to Paul on the phone I got he feeling that this was a man who really wanted to help someone learn about bowhunting. I spent a couple of hours there today and I was impressed. First off he showed me that I could shoot bows with d/l all the way to 28". This certainly gives me more options. He didn't have it at the shop but he has a Tom Kat available that fits in my budget. He will have it at the shop today so as soon as I can get back I'll see if it fits me. Really had not been looking at this model, due to the length issue, but it seems to be Bowtechs offering for newbies like me. A top of the line bow ready to shoot for a reasonable price. Any of you got knowledge or opinions on the TK?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good that you found what you could be looking for.... but it sounds weird.... you started at 26" and the guy at the shop showed you how to shoot all the way to a 28" draw thats a 2" difference, and when your talking draw length... thats Huge. I'm currently about to switch from 27.5 to 28" and I feel like im getting a new bow. Being new you want to get set up right, if not it wont be nearly as enjoyable as it could be, you want to get set up right the first time so that you become comfortable with what is right, not what "feels" right. Otherwise when you do become addicticted it's going to be that much harder on you to become accustomed to where you should be.... dont let the bowshop guy MAKE you feel confortable so that he can make a sell, Make for certaing it Fits you, if you contact some of the more knowledgable guys on the board such as Matt/PA or Greg/ MO or Rob/PaBowyer they could certainly tell you what you should be looking for in a perfect fitting bow.

I could be wrong but it sounds like he's trying to "make" the TomKat fit you. Good Luck in your search.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 AM

I understand exactly how huge it is to change that much length Buckmaster. I think the original man measured me wrong. When I went to Gander Mtn. and shot the 2 Diamonds the tech set the first one up at 25" and I couldn't even draw it properly because it was too short. He changed it to 26" and that felt better when he changed it to 27" it felt so much better. The other guy started me at 26 and then we shot it at 27 and that felt best, so I'm probly closer to a true 27. The other inch I gained was from using a different release not a change in form. He was just trying to show me that there are different ways to tweak your shooting to optimize a bows performance. I would not buy anything that felt uncomfortable.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Some of the confusion may be linked to different axle to axle lengths coupled with different string angles resulting from the limb configurations. I choose my anchor point based on the string touching the end of my nose. Not so long ago, when I shot Renegade bows, I shot 27 or 27.5. More recently with BT's, I shot 28 comfortably. Now, with Whisper Creek, I shoot 28.5 with my super short Stealth and 28 again with the Innovator. That Stealth is very short (I got it for turkeys out of a blind), and so the string angle is severe. That means to get the string to my nose, I need to anchor (slightly) farther back on my cheek.