Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

teaching how to be a good bowhunter

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: teaching how to be a good bowhunter

i've been hunting for 5 years now 2 of them bowhunting and i'm just getting frustrated...i have only shot 1 doe which i wasn't able to recover and that was with the bow...
Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had multiple opportunities, Kamil. You've heard this before....but "location" has a LOT to do with one's success.

I hunt where a LOT of deer call home.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kamil

Do you guys ever doubt the decisions you make when choosing a spot,,,? Thats where most of the difficulty comes into play for me..I'm always unsure .
Some of my most productive stands were found by hunting spots that were within 100-200 yards of them. I have a Step Brother that has been hunting for 30 years with a bow so a lot of great advice has always been a phone call away. I have read some books, watched some shows on Deer and Hunting shows and paid close attention to what successful hunters I know are doing.
The best part of Bowhunting is the never ending battle of trying to figure the animal out. Don't be afraid to fail, failure is the best teacher.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I taught myself, and when I did I didn't have many years of hunting under my belt so as Peak said it was a lot of trial and error, with an emphasis on the errors. Over time though things started to click and when they did I started seeing some consistent success.

Stick with it, try new things, and don't be afraid of making a bad decision. It's not the end of the world and those are the best lessons. Most of all spend as much time as you can learning your spots.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM

With the exception of my friends..I've taught myself pretty much everything

EDIT: HNI has taught me more than anything else..I cant begin to tell you how much I have learned from this place and it has only deepened my passion
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was lucky being I was brought up in a bow hunting family. My dad and mom both have shot many animals with a bow so I am pretty darn lucky in that regard! Like others have said expierence is the best teacher by far!! Learn from your mishaps and try and correct them for the next time. Motown said it pretty well, it can make you or break you. What you put into bow hunting is what you will get out of it. I wish you all the luck.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the great advice and support...less than 5 months till the opening of bow season better start scouting
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

read, ask questions, and don't be afraid to try something that is how you are going to learn, it will take time to develop instincts and the more things you try the more you will develop