Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who travels for turkeys?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who travels for turkeys?

Muncy, PAForecast: (keeping my fingers crossed)[]

Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms between 8pm and 11pm, then isolated showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: Scattered showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming southeast between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

One word for ya.....

CLAYMORE!

(good luck!)
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I drive 2 1/2 hours to hunt in southeast oklahoma. I have spots 30 minutes away from the house but I just like hunting that part of the state. It's also something we have been doing with friends that live down there for the last 30 years.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

I only have to travel about 15 min to hunt easterns howver I went 700 miles for a meriam this spring and next year am planning on going around a 1000 to get my rio. Luckly when I was in school I lived in florida so I got my osceola when I lived there.

MC
Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

I travel an hour and fifteen minutes each way. Not too bad but with gas prices it gets pretty expensive.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think (hopefully from what I heard this morning) that the rain will be sparatic in the morning hours, with storms intensifying in the late afternoon. I can only hunt till 9 or so anyways because our HUNTING cabin has work weekend this weekend....of all weekends, why would a hunting cabin have a work weekend on the turkey opener[:@]
Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

i travel about 4 hours from New York city to the adirondacks near lake george to hunt them.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt some State land here in Wisconsin thats about 45 minutes away which is great hunting! I have to drive 427 miles to my Property in Michigan to hunt for the Birds in May!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

10-15 minutes, at the most.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

The latest location thread got me to thinking. Who has to travel to hunt turkeys? The closest place I've found to hunt these birds is a 2 1/2 hour drive.
If you look at the turkey distribution map on the NWTF web site you will see a strip of ground in Texas without a turkey population. Thats where I live.
For those of you with turkeys in your backyard, or anyone for that matter. if you had to travel to hunt turkeys how far would you be willing to go? Last weekend I made a 600 mile drive to try for a Merriam. For the rest of this season I'll stick to hunting closer to home but I'll have at least a 3 hour drive including tomorrow morning. Next weekend it will be a 4 hour drive. And then next year I will very likely go out of state again, probably to Oklahoma or maybe Kansas.
I have to do this, I am compelled.
If I had to drive to hunt turkeys, I'd drive any distance. South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska. I'd go anywhere. But that is only becauseturkeys are my passion.

Quick Reply: Who travels for turkeys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.