Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The case for heavy arrows for penetrating bone

Old 02-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The case for heavy arrows for penetrating bone

I think that in any discussion where archery equipment comes into play we need to trully look to moderation as being the key to offering the " best" setup for any individual person. Regardless of momentum, using a 600 grain arrow with a rainbow trajectory just is not practical nor necessary to offer a clean, effective harvest. On the other hand, regardless of KE, using a 300 grain arrow with a super flat trajectory really is not necessary either considering the distances that most whitetails (or similar game animal) is shot at on a regular basis.

Regardless of draw weight, draw length, cam style, etc.... I trully believe that an arrow in the 400-500 grain range would suit just about every setup out there in terms of a flat trajectory and decent penetration provided the bow is well tuned, the shot placement is there and the broadheads are sharp. Even if shot placement is not perfect I think the moderate weight arrow offers a better chance of providing the correct horizontal as well as vertical characteristics necessary to make a clean harvest.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone else smell DEAD HORSE
Old 02-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well ya can' t let that dead horse roll too much to one side of the road without kicking it back the other way....
Old 02-24-2003, 01:43 PM

Beprepen,

Two mortal enemies find themselves locked in a room ankle deep in gasoline. One of them is holding a pack of matches, the other is holding ten packs of matches.

Who has the advantage?? [:-]
Old 02-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just keep that #%^! dead horse out of MY lane, Frank!

As long as whatever weight arrow and whatever broadhead you use consistenly gives you accurate shots, clean kills, good blood trails and you don' t mind the work to keep it up and running right, then use it. It' s when you' re having problems with making accurate shots, getting a decent bow tune, getting poor penetration or are losing animals because of bad trails (or bad tracking skills) something has to change.

For me, I' m more skilled at judging yardage than I am at tuning a bow. My draw length is very long and I MUST have a very consistent arrow and near perfect form to shoot accurately. Heavy aluminum arrows have proven themselves to tune much easier and shoot much better FOR ME, with broadheads and in all circumstances, so that' s what I use. My carbon arrows... I can only shoot them with field points because they go nuts even with low profile broadheads. Since I' m still old fashioned enough to not trust mechanicals, those arrows are consigned exclusively to the 3D course.

At 60 pounds draw weight, even the carbon arrows I' ve tried are nearly 8 grains per pound. At 70 pounds, they' re nearly 7 gpp. Even though that' s as light as I can go with today' s arrow materials, I still call that a moderate weight arrow. Some folks think they' re heavy. My point of view is an arrow isn' t heavy until it gets over 9 grains per pound. My favorite hunting arrows run 10-11 grains per pound.

What gets my hackles raised is when someone starts saying that light and fast is the ONLY way to go. I don' t remember who it was, but someone on this forum once said that if you aren' t shooting around 275 fps, then you' re UNETHICAL!![>:] No. What' s unethical is trying to attain a certain arrow speed, in order to keep up with the Joneses, at the expense of being able to control that speed in hunting situations.

I' ve been around this bowhunting stuff long enough to know my limitations and I' ve found what works for me. I' ve tried all the new stuff, but I keep going back to my old standby equipment. I ENJOY the old style stuff. I shoot it VERY well. That' s enough for me.

Old 02-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very well said Arthur. I can honestly say that I do not disagree with a word of it.

I will say though that if you drive as slow as your arrows go then you should not have to worry about the dead horse being in your lane.....[]
Old 02-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Why would you plan for something to go wrong?
IrishLad: We plan for the bad hit because we can' t always control an animal. We give our self every edge we can. You can kill a deer with a dull broadhead too if you put it in the right place... so why do we bother to sharpen them. Because... it' s the right thing to do.

A Dead Horse?? Nah... it' s just the off season.

CG... your set ups produce 76 and 81 foot pounds K.E. Yup, they both should kill in a heart beat, but one still puts out more UMP and probably offers a little more room for error in a bad hit. If they both shoot the same I know which I' d be using. There isn' t that much difference in speed.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whip that horse!!!! I think I saw him move!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:24 PM

In my mind I think that this is almost no longer arguable. I think that the momentum is the impulse that is available for penetration - the force times time.

If the momentum is 0.50 pound seconds, then you have one pound force available for half a second for penetration, or 10 pounds for .05 seconds, or 100 pounds for .005 seconds. And 50 pounds for 10 milliseconds which is about what I need to get through the deer.

An arrow with less momentum has less impulse to exert and will not be able to push as hard for the same length of time.

At any rate, it is interesting that there is about 50 pounds of force on the deer while the arrow is passing through it. Although not applied long enough to push him off his feet!

Quick Reply: The case for heavy arrows for penetrating bone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.