Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

location.....

Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: location.....

And Germ, Location is hand in hand intertwined with antler size or beard lengths...
I missed this, LOL Sure I agree, but now what this thread is about
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Site Bouncer

Boy I just love these "location" threads....Thanks for posting it Buckeye.

I agree though, if you don't like your situation or location then either do something about it or quit whining. HOWEVER, just because someone brings up location as an important part of the "killing big antlered deer" equation doesn't in itself mean they are unhappy about their situation. They are just stating a fact.....Location is a major factor in killing big antlered deer.

Oh, yeah....BRING BACK ATLASMAN![:@]
Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I got forced into finding a better location and I went out and did so. I look forward to the coming season. The deer I'll be hunting in west Texas are generally larger than what I have hunted in east Texas. I'll still hunt close to home on a another new place. The population is pretty good at the place close to home but the deer are pressured quite a bit harder. There are less mature deer than I'll be after in west texas. I figure I'll fill my 3 doe tags in east Texas and go after mature bucks in west Texas. I'll have 2 buck tags. I have never hunted mature whitetails before. I have been a hunter of deer, period. Due to the new location I have a new opportunity.
Now here's a perfect example of a hunter willing to do something about it without complaint......... Respect!
Yup, see it's simple, change LOCATION! I'm doing this as well. I'm headed to IL, better location.
Changing locations is one of several ways to improve your hunting. Doing so without complaint is a fine attribute.

Diminishing anothers achievement by saying "it's a numbers game" or "almost anyone could do that if they hunted there" is pure, speculative BS.

Why even say it? Congradulate the guy and concentrate on your own affairs. The only reason I can think of for someone saying, "Yeah, that's a big buck, but look where he hunt's", is to make themselves feel better. I find that to be a poor attribute and insulting. Who really cares? If you want to shoot bigger bucks, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, without diminishing anothers accomplishment. Congradulate the guy.
I would never dimish what some else accomplishes with a bow and I never complain about where I hunt, I do fine with what I consider exceptional animals for my area. FOR MY AREA. I get as much if not more out of bowhunting than most.

What I frown upon is the fact that though I may have never taken a P&Y animal, someone whom does is deemed a superior hunter strictly due to antler size. "EX:" Someone will throw this question in my face: Well, how may P&Y's have you taken? blah blah blah.

That in itself leads us to the LOCATION equation.

But to stay on topic, I love my location, that's why I live where I do. I can't see ever moving although I'd love to be able to bowhunt elk every year.

Disclaimer: Same as above, in general and not meant towards anyone in particular.

And Germ, Location is hand in hand intertwined with antler size or beard lengths...
I never singled anyone out, Rob, especially you.

As far as what you said leads to the location equation........... two wrongs don't make a right.
I know Greg, see disclaimer. I made it bigger for us older eyes. [8D]

And OUCH from those other woodywoodpeckerheads.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just like determining the value of real estate,the three most important aspects in killing big deer is location,location,location!
Rob and Duke,pretty much summed it up for me ie.shooting 31/2 year old bucks in ohio,Illinois,Wisconsin,Iowa,Kansas,or any of the other destination big buck states does not make someone a better hunter than the hunter from Pennsylvania,New Jersey,New York etc. who also kills or consistently kills 31/2 or older aged bucks.The challenge is in the deers age and not it's head gear.I would never diminish someones accomplishment no matter where they are from,nor would I attribute greater respect to them as a result of the size of the bucks they shoot.It is all about age class in relationship to accomplishment,not spread,tine length or score.
People place to much emphasis on what other people are doing.Our focus should be on the doing the best we can ( if that is important to the person)in the area's we choose to hunt.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree though, if you don't like your situation or location then either do something about it or quit whining. HOWEVER, just because someone brings up location as an important part of the "killing big antlered deer" equation doesn't in itself mean they are unhappy about their situation. They are just stating a fact.....Location is a major factor in killing big antlered deer.
Well said, Biggun.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok... To many post to break down everyone so I will hit a few here...

I haven't read through all of this.....but I don't recall EVER "crying" or "complaining" about my "location". I've stated a simple FACT on here several times.
gmmat

Why did you take this thread so personal... I never implied it was about you.You know what that say about assuming [8D]...

I don't mean to speak for Scott, he's a big boy and can speak for himself BUT......

If I interpret what he's saying correctly.....He agrees that not everywhere holds monster bucks. He agrees that location is important. I THINK what he's trying to say is, if you don't like the location you have, or if where you're at isn't producing, go find a better one. Do the homework and the legwork and find someplace better

Don
Exactly... But to add... If you don't want to look for a better "location" than stop complaining and play the hand you were dealt.

So Scott, you'd be willing to share your spots with the guys that are complaining about location so they can't complain any more, right?
Bry
Uhhhh.... NO! I gotmy best spots knocking on doors and scouting public access land.... They can too

I hear what you're saying. Hunt hard, scout hard, find where the big boys are hiding and get in there. If they aren't where you are looking, look somewhere else. If I lose my car keys I'm not going to stay in the kitchen looking for them if I've looked all through there. I'll look to other areas where they might be.
Correct.... And if you don't put forth the effort for a better spot than don't complain....

For the record this thread has nothing to do with antler size, it's about location
This thread is correct and a good one
This thread is about not whining about where one hunts, that is it[8D]
Buckeye's point has been made, some just don't know it.
Gary
Spot on... Thank you sir!

Rob
I am still waiting to see the video of your Boone and Crockett 8 point (maybe one of the rarest whitetails on the face of this earth, a B&C 8 point that is) at your "honey hole" location .

I agree though, if you don't like your situation or location then either do something about it or quit whining.
BigJ

Old 04-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

gmmat

Why did you take this thread so personal... I never implied it was about you. You know what that say about assuming [8D]...
Then don't assume I took it personally[8D].
Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

gmmat

Why did you take this thread so personal... I never implied it was about you. You know what that say about assuming [8D]...
Then don't assume I took it personally[8D].
You sure ran with it if you didn't take it personal
Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

What you're talking about (people complaining....or ....in some people's opinion...."trying to diminish the accomplishments of others") rears its ugly head in MANY ways.

I've been on the receiving end of it on several occasions....by people attempting to identify the herd I hunt as "Parks deer"...."suburban deer".....etc...

What another man is doing while he hunts makes no difference to me. HOW another man hunts makes no difference to me.

If you said to me.....that the NO.1 reason I have the opportunity to kill a lot of deer (if you consider the number I kill a "lot") is because I live in a place that has an abundance of deer......I'd have NO ISSUES with that assessment. It's a fact, in reality. NO ISSUES.

Where the "rub" comes into play....is when someone attempts to make the EXACT same claim in regards to large antlered deer.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What you're talking about (people complaining....or ....in some people's opinion...."trying to diminish the accomplishments of others") rears its ugly head in MANY ways.

I've been on the receiving end of it on several occasions....by people attempting to identify the herd I hunt as "Parks deer"...."suburban deer".....etc...

What another man is doing while he hunts makes no difference to me. HOW another man hunts makes no difference to me.

If you said to me.....that the reason I kill a lot of deer (if you consider the number I kill a "lot") is because I live in a place that has an abundance of deer......I'd have NO ISSUES with that assessment. It's a fact, in reality. NO ISSUES.

Where the "rub" comes into play....is when someone attempts to make the EXACT same claim in regards to large antlered deer.

What the heck is this about???

Seriously did you evenread what I wrote, I mean really did you????? No where didI mention diminishing one's accomplishments,big racks, large herds, long beards or any of that.....

BRB... I'm going to go read my post again.... Yep, just like I remember... Nothing to do with anything other than people complaining.

Funny how some guys understand what my thread was about and others twist it into whatever they want for their personal satisfaction.
[/align]

Quick Reply: location.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.