Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

location.....

Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: location.....

Just because you show up at the Gold Club (whatever that is) dosen't mean your going to score.
Agreed.....but if you don't....it won't because there weren't plenty of opportunites.

I agree on the "sour grapes". I don't like that, either.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I got forced into finding a better location and I went out and did so. I look forward to the coming season. The deer I'll be hunting in west Texas are generally larger than what I have hunted in east Texas. I'll still hunt close to home on a another new place. The population is pretty good at the place close to home but the deer are pressured quite a bit harder. There are less mature deer than I'll be after in west texas. I figure I'll fill my 3 doe tags in east Texas and go after mature bucks in west Texas. I'll have 2 buck tags. I have never hunted mature whitetails before. I have been a hunter of deer, period. Due to the new location I have a new opportunity.
Now here's a perfect example of a hunter willing to do something about it without complaint......... Respect!
Yup, see it's simple, change LOCATION! I'm doing this as well. I'm headed to IL, better location.
Changing locations is one of several ways to improve your hunting. Doing so without complaint is a fine attribute.

Diminishing anothers achievement by saying "it's a numbers game" or "almost anyone could do that if they hunted there" is pure, speculative BS.

Why even say it? Congradulate the guy and concentrate on your own affairs. The only reason I can think of for someone saying, "Yeah, that's a big buck, but look where he hunt's", is to make themselves feel better. I find that to be a poor attribute and insulting. Who really cares? If you want to shoot bigger bucks, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, without diminishing anothers accomplishment. Congradulate the guy.
I would never dimish what some else accomplishes with a bow and I never complain about where I hunt, I do fine with what I consider exceptional animals for my area. FOR MY AREA. I get as much if not more out of bowhunting than most.

What I frown upon is the fact that though I may have never taken a P&Y animal, someone whom does is deemed a superior hunter strictly due to antler size. "EX:" Someone will throw this question in my face: Well, how may P&Y's have you taken? blah blah blah.

That in itself leads us to the LOCATION equation.

But to stay on topic, I love my location, that's why I live where I do. I can't see ever moving although I'd love to be able to bowhunt elk every year.

Disclaimer: Same as above, in general and not meant towards anyone in particular.

And Germ, Location is hand in hand intertwined with antler size or beard lengths...

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its called a non resident license! Rob is going to do it this year In Illinois. I live in a state that has P&Y and B&C whitetails but its not as rich as say Wisconsin is. For that reason I've hunted Wisconsin a half a dozen times to possibly have a chance at a record book buck. So far I haven't had any luck yet on getting a booker out there but I believe it will happen. I hunt in a good area but its pretty heavily pressured state land. I might have an in on some private land out there in the coming years. Hopefully it goes through, all the guy does is gun hunts, no bow hunters on the 300 acres his family owns. I'm also going to go out to North Dakota and give it a try out there. Your not doing anything about it sitting on your rump. Get out there and do some out of state hunting, I do and I have these same caliber bucks 500 yards behind my place in the river bottoms. Just not as many as some states.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got forced into finding a better location and I went out and did so. I look forward to the coming season. The deer I'll be hunting in west Texas are generally larger than what I have hunted in east Texas. I'll still hunt close to home on a another new place. The population is pretty good at the place close to home but the deer are pressured quite a bit harder. There are less mature deer than I'll be after in west texas. I figure I'll fill my 3 doe tags in east Texas and go after mature bucks in west Texas. I'll have 2 buck tags. I have never hunted mature whitetails before. I have been a hunter of deer, period. Due to the new location I have a new opportunity.
Now here's a perfect example of a hunter willing to do something about it without complaint......... Respect!
Yup, see it's simple, change LOCATION! I'm doing this as well. I'm headed to IL, better location.

So your calling it?? P&Y??[8D] I can see both sides of the location debate have their legitiment points. Even in big buck states the cream rises to the top. One could luck into a brusier no doubt. To kill multiple book bucks year after year is something only a hand full of (ordinary archers like us on HNI) can pull off.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

So your calling it?? P&Y??[8D] I can see both sides of the location debate have their legitiment points. Even in big buck states the cream rises to the top. One could luck into a brusier no doubt. To kill multiple book bucks year after year is something only a hand full of (ordinary archers like us on HNI) can pull off.
It's P&Y or bust Chris. We have to pass 130"s. Last year the guys that hooked us up passed 140"s and both brought home 150"s. Am I calling it? Only if it has both sides! [8D]
Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just hope you can hit it Oh he said it,LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

If he isn't in NC.....he should be fine!

Rob can't hit ****, here!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ouch
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's P&Y or bust Chris. We have to pass 130"s. Last year the guys that hooked us up passed 140"s and both brought home 150"s. Am I calling it? Only if it has both sides! [8D]
[/quote]

I hope you pull it off Rob. Knowing the buck of a lifetime is in the area will definantly help keep you on stand for many hours.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Site Buck Guru

Changing locations is one of several ways to improve your hunting. Doing so without complaint is a fine attribute.

Diminishing anothers achievement by saying "it's a numbers game" or "almost anyone could do that if they hunted there" is pure, speculative BS.

Why even say it? Congradulate the guy and concentrate on your own affairs. The only reason I can think of for someone saying, "Yeah, that's a big buck, but look where he hunt's", is to make themselves feel better. I find that to be a poor attribute and insulting. Who really cares? If you want to shoot bigger bucks, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, without diminishing anothers accomplishment. Congradulate the guy.
I would never dimish what some else accomplishes with a bow and I never complain about where I hunt, I do fine with what I consider exceptional animals for my area. FOR MY AREA. I get as much if not more out of bowhunting than most.

What I frown upon is the fact that though I may have never taken a P&Y animal, someone whom does is deemed a superior hunter strictly due to antler size. "EX:" Someone will throw this question in my face: Well, how may P&Y's have you taken? blah blah blah.

That in itself leads us to the LOCATION equation.

But to stay on topic, I love my location, that's why I live where I do. I can't see ever moving although I'd love to be able to bowhunt elk every year.

Disclaimer: Same as above, in general and not meant towards anyone in particular.

And Germ, Location is hand in hand intertwined with antler size or beard lengths...
I never singled anyone out, Rob, especially you.

As far as what you said leads to the location equation........... two wrongs don't make a right.

Quick Reply: location.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.