Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

location.....

Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: location.....

[blockquote]quote:

Personally I don't look at inches.. that's called vanity. When a whitetail reaches 3 or 4+ yrs. of age he's now in a different class and experience. He's "smarter" so to speak. Whether he has 50" of antler or 150" of antler he is still a mature whitetail and I will never dismiss a whitetail taken by any hunter of this caliber.

Inches do not make experience and brilliance. Age is the ultimate judge. [/blockquote]
This sums up how we should all view deer hunting - I have a couple of 100inchers on the wall that are 4.5 -
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

For the record this thread has nothing to do with antler size, it's about location
This thread is correct and a good one

Personally I don't look at inches.. that's called vanity. When a whitetail reaches 3 or 4+ yrs. of age he's now in a different class and experience. He's "smarter" so to speak. Whether he has 50" of antler or 150" of antler he is still a mature whitetail and I will never dismiss a whitetail taken by any hunter of this caliber.

Inches do not make experience and brilliance. Age is the ultimate judge.
Nor does Atlasman's thread, even though I agree with it This thread is about not whining about where one hunts, that is it[8D]
Buckeye's point has been made, some just don't know it.

As soon as location is brought up, "Inches" is brought up. So we can all talk about "vanity" vs "mature", but that all it is, talk. Where the metal meets the road is when it really happens.
Anybody going to shoot a 150'' 8 year old deer, if a 5 year old 180 is standing right next to it

We have similar isssue here in MI, everybody is worried about what everybody else is doing. Makes people "justify" what they are doing, and excuses for what they are not. Good lord, LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I got forced into finding a better location and I went out and did so. I look forward to the coming season. The deer I'll be hunting in west Texas are generally larger than what I have hunted in east Texas. I'll still hunt close to home on a another new place. The population is pretty good at the place close to home but the deer are pressured quite a bit harder. There are less mature deer than I'll be after in west texas. I figure I'll fill my 3 doe tags in east Texas and go after mature bucks in west Texas. I'll have 2 buck tags. I have never hunted mature whitetails before. I have been a hunter of deer, period. Due to the new location I have a new opportunity.
Now here's a perfect example of a hunter willing to do something about it without complaint......... Respect!
Yup, see it's simple, change LOCATION! I'm doing this as well. I'm headed to IL, better location.
Changing locations is one of several ways to improve your hunting. Doing so without complaint is a fine attribute.

Diminishing anothers achievement by saying "it's a numbers game" or "almost anyone could do that if they hunted there" is pure, speculative BS.

Why even say it? Congradulate the guy and concentrate on your own affairs. The only reason I can think of for someone saying, "Yeah, that's a big buck, but look where he hunt's", is to make themselves feel better. I find that to be a poor attribute and insulting. Who really cares? If you want to shoot bigger bucks, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, without diminishing anothers accomplishment. Congradulate the guy.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad Atlasman cannot continue to contribute and can only be quoted now.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Too bad Atlasman cannot continue to contribute and can only be quoted now.
Yes my day would have went way faster

Hey you need the

Bring Back Atlasman in your sig

BTW nice chicken
Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

BTW nice chicken
LOL That's "Scar" and he is somethin' else. He doesn't have his sharp spurs (he's less thana year old), yet, luckily for my wife and daughter. He tries to spur them all the time and he is fast. He used to try and spur me but now we have an "understanding" and he avoids me.

He's great with then hens though. A very good protector.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made the decision to give up my "sure thing" rifle spot to get an opertunity to shoot a mature buck. I killed a buck in this spot every season for many years. Every deer was 1 1/2 years old except one that was 2 1/2. I did the same with my bow hunting. The results: In the last 10 years I have killed 10 deer that were 3 1/2 and older. I also passed up a lot of 3 1/2's.
The bottom line is: If your not happy with your location eithor you can whine or you can do something about it. AND NOBODY WANTS TO LISTEN TO A WHINER!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Changing locations is one of several ways to improve your hunting. Doing so without complaint is a fine attribute.

Diminishing anothers achievement by saying "it's a numbers game" or "almost anyone could do that if they hunted there" is pure, speculative BS.
I disagree with those who do these things, too, Greg.

But it's not diminishing one's accomplishments to say....."If you wanna see some hot women.....you're more likely to do that at the Gold Club than you are at weight watchers".
Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

But it's not diminishing one's accomplishments to say....."If you wanna see some hot women.....you're more likely to do that at the Gold Club than you are at weight watchers".
True, but with a little work weight watchers babes can compete You made a great point, I just don't think you know you did Jeff
Will use me
At 5' 8'' with a pointing head, I am not getting a hot babe at the gold club But at weight watcher it's easy pickens[8D]

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I agree with Greg, so many people say " if I hunted where you hunt I could shoot big ones too." Then you ask them why they don't hunt there they come up with a ton of excuses. Have you ever heard of the term "sour grapes"?
Also many people DO hunt in those prime areas and still don't score. Just because you show up at the Gold Club (whatever that is) dosen't mean your going to score.

Quick Reply: location.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.