Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

location.....

Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Default RE: location.....

I don't mean to speak for Scott, he's a big boy and can speak for himself BUT......

If I interpret what he's saying correctly.....He agrees that not everywhere holds monster bucks. He agrees that location is important. I THINK what he's trying to say is, if you don't like the location you have, or if where you're at isn't producing, go find a better one. Do the homework and the legwork and find someplace better instead of sitting on the couch sucking your proverbial thumb and wimpering.

disclaimer: the use of the words "you" and "your" is generic, and not intended for anyone specifically. The thumb sucking remark was used as humor.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I got forced into finding a better location and I went out and did so. I look forward to the coming season. The deer I'll be hunting in west Texas are generally larger than what I have hunted in east Texas. I'll still hunt close to home on a another new place. The population is pretty good at the place close to home but the deer are pressured quite a bit harder. There are less mature deer than I'll be after in west texas. I figure I'll fill my 3 doe tags in east Texas and go after mature bucks in west Texas. I'll have 2 buck tags. I have never hunted mature whitetails before. I have been a hunter of deer, period. Due to the new location I have a new opportunity.
Now here's a perfect example of a hunter willing to do something about it without complaint......... Respect!
Yup, see it's simple, change LOCATION! I'm doing this as well. I'm headed to IL, better location.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

If I interpret what he's saying correctly.....He agrees that not everywhere holds monster bucks. He agrees that location is important. I THINK what he's trying to say is, if you don't like the location you have, or if where you're at isn't producing, go find a better one. Do the homework and the legwork and find someplace better instead of sitting on the couch sucking your proverbial thumb and wimpering.
"If" "You're" wimpering and sucking your thumb......and complaining about your location........I agree. If you're stating a fact.....the same applies to the other party.

disclaimer: the use of the words "you" and "your" and "other party" is generic, and not intended for anyone specifically. The thumb sucking remark was used as humor.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Bartender

I always change my stand location to try and be one up on my competition. So even the guys who havea great location have to change locations.

Well put Jeff and Atlasman.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot two deer that age in Kansas, Iowa, or Illinois and they would be 140"150" at least.
I hated this line then.. and still hate it today. I can take you to lots of areas in Illinois where a 4.5 doesn't gross the P&Y minimum. Some don't even gross 115". And I'm positively sure the same holds true in MANY of the other big buck states.

Personally I don't look at inches.. that's called vanity. When a whitetail reaches 3 or 4+ yrs. of age he's now in a different class and experience. He's "smarter" so to speak. Whether he has 50" of antler or 150" of antler he is still a mature whitetail and I will never dismiss a whitetail taken by any hunter of this caliber.

Inches do not make experience and brilliance. Age is the ultimate judge.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

So Scott, you'd be willing to share your spots with the guys that are complaining about location so they can't complain any more, right?

I hear what you're saying. Hunt hard, scout hard, find where the big boys are hiding and get in there. If they aren't where you are looking, look somewhere else. If I lose my car keys I'm not going to stay in the kitchen looking for them if I've looked all through there. I'll look to other areas where they might be.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally I don't look at inches.. that's called vanity. When a whitetail reaches 3 or 4+ yrs. of age he's now in a different class and experience. He's "smarter" so to speak. Whether he has 50" of antler or 150" of antler he is still a mature whitetail and I will never dismiss a whitetail taken by any hunter of this caliber.

Gentlemen.....THAT is gospel!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

If I never hear location, location, location here ever again I will die a happy man....

I wish people would stop using the location excuse (yes, I said excuse)and do what they need to do to get the job done.

Seriously, if you are unhappy about your location,either pipe down andplay the hand youwere dealt ordo something about it. Just my opinion

[/align]
This whole thread is funny to me.

If I never hear location, location, location here ever again I will die a happy man....
So now I will start a thread about the very topic I don't ever want to hear about again. Right.....that makes sense, I'm assuming the winking smiley at the end of that post means you are fully aware of the contradiction.

But since it was brought up I have to say I love the first three paragraphs in Atlas' quote, sums it up. I would agree thatif someone were constantly complaining about their land/location all the time and they were doing nothing to better it then they are lazy and making excuses. That being said that is not whatI usually see on here, people talk about "mature deer" all the time on here but what everyone pays attention to when it comes down to it is antler size when in reality a 4.5 yr old deer is a 4.5 yr old deer regardless of where it istaken or what it is toting on hishead. But noone is gonna be asking the guy killing the4.5 yr old "dink" how he did it.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

RESPECT!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

RESPECT!
x3

Great post Duke.

Quick Reply: location.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.