Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things I saw on hunting TV shows

Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Things I saw on hunting TV shows

I didnt mean missed, I guess I ment not viewed as dangerous to the producer... I know people can be safety concious but I was simply saying if you handle weapons it doesnt matter who you are every one is going to do something with a weapon that "could" be dangerous. What if that gun was unloaded on that deer? I know the viewer doesnt know if it is or isnt but in all reality say it was you. You know the gun is unloaded so you know its safe. We all do things that may seem dangerous to other people and actually do dangerous things ourslelves that we dont realize. If someone was to tell me that they have never had a gun or bow in a dangerous position or never will again I wouldn't beleive it, no way. People do things and don't realize it. I don't think TV shows have that much of an influence on hunters as one may think. I'll agree those things should be taken out but hunting is huntign and no matter what you do your still using a dangerous tool no matter how safe someone cna be. TV shows aren't gonna change how people can get excited and do things without realizeing cuz it happens everyday. Plus hiding those things so viewers never see it doesnt chnge anythign either and gonna make em say o I better not do that. It doesnt educate the hunter to not do those things. The only way to promote safety in shows is to talk about it and even then people are gonna notice thigns that "could" be dangerous. I do agree shows need to keep safety top priority though. WCL
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Host of Hosts

I didn't read all the posts, but I see guys climbing trees and getting into stands without safety equiptment. That bugs me.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a pretty safe person but I've never climbed with safety equipment and prolly never will. I guess its cuzI feel safe and comfortable with what I do and I'm not going to injure others with those actions, only myself if an accident were to happen so safety of that nature is strickly individual choice IMO and doesnt bother me one way or another how people utilize or don't useclimbing equipment. I'm not disagreeing with you just stating that safety things like that are personal choice as long as your not taking someone elses life into your own hands. WCL
Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs
safety things like that are personal choice as long as your not taking someone elses life into your own hands. WCL
I wear one because I (would like to) think that my family wants me home safe

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I knew that was coming. Thats why its personal choice I guess. I prolly should wear one but i dont. Live and learn or learn to live, I guess. WCL
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didnt mean missed, I guess I ment not viewed as dangerous to the producer... I know people can be safety concious but I was simply saying if you handle weapons it doesnt matter who you are every one is going to do something with a weapon that "could" be dangerous. What if that gun was unloaded on that deer? I know the viewer doesnt know if it is or isnt but in all reality say it was you. You know the gun is unloaded so you know its safe. We all do things that may seem dangerous to other people and actually do dangerous things ourslelves that we dont realize. If someone was to tell me that they have never had a gun or bow in a dangerous position or never will again I wouldn't beleive it, no way. People do things and don't realize it. I don't think TV shows have that much of an influence on hunters as one may think. I'll agree those things should be taken out but hunting is huntign and no matter what you do your still using a dangerous tool no matter how safe someone cna be. TV shows aren't gonna change how people can get excited and do things without realizeing cuz it happens everyday. Plus hiding those things so viewers never see it doesnt chnge anythign either and gonna make em say o I better not do that. It doesnt educate the hunter to not do those things. The only way to promote safety in shows is to talk about it and even then people are gonna notice thigns that "could" be dangerous. I do agree shows need to keep safety top priority though. WCL
Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

If it was me, my gun wouldn't be pointing at me or anyone else.

I almost shot a good friend in the back with a shotgun when I was a kid. I got lucky and only blew a hole in the ground between us. Another friend blew a hole in the ground about 4" in front of his foot. A hunter was warned by my grandpa to put his deer rifle away. he said it wasn't loaded then fired it into the ground right in the middle of their group.

All were accidents, all were avoidable if safe gun handling practices were used.

I just wish the TV shows would do a better job promoting safety instead of airing video of safety violations.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

More people are shot accidentally by "unloaded" guns, than loaded ones ...... Amen Magic!!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

More people are shot accidentally by "unloaded" guns, than loaded ones ...... Amen Magic!!
Amen to that one also!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see both sides of the debate here but I would have toside with Magic on this one being I am a Deputy here in Michigan and it's always the unloaded gun that kills people about 90% of the time and the other 10% are just thugs!! But seeing where Wing is comeing from you could look at it as look how much we are talking about what was saw on tv and that is good also as a way to get people talking about I would never do this or this is what you don't want to do!!!! I just glad to see different oppions and NO fighting!!! Walt
Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is in reply to the safety thing...

When I was in High School I went out hunting with a friend (at the time)!
We hunted a ridge for a few hours and met to eat our lunches at our chosen spot.
We finished our lunch and started talking about the afternoon strategy to bag a deer.
He starts fooling around and says...
"I know why we haven't seen any deer", "I need to put a fresh shell in the chamber".
So the WINGNUT cycles a round from his lever action and puts the barrel to his foot.
Well I guess I'm lucky, because a few minutes later he pulled the trigger and never released the hammer prior to doing this.
Yah that's right, he shot himself in the foot and not me, that's why I'm lucky.
He himself, was very,very lucky by his stupidity, the bullet went right between his big toe and the next toe,
with a perfect half circle of a .44 diameter hole skiving each toe and never hit bone.
So after his skin graf and a "WTF" talk from the game warden and police, we graduated and haven't seen the bone-head since, amen!

Quick Reply: Things I saw on hunting TV shows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.