Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

I saw on another thread people talking about a "slower" bow being more quiet. I won't agree or disagree....as it's irrelevant to this post.

But....why is "quiet" important? How many of you are getting follow up shots at deer?

I'm certain they can and will jump string......but is this the only reason? (not dimishing this reason in the least)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

I shoot the General..nuf said about being Queit..I had one last year duck my string on my PSE it was louder than a Harley with no pipes..LOL
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not about the Follow up shot, it's about a deer jumping your string. IMO

A deer can jump an arrow 180 FPS, that same deer would have jump the arrow if it was travling at 330 FPS,400 FPS, 500 FPS, 600 FPS, and at 700 FPS you hit it
So at an animal the is killed on average of 17 yds, why does 300+ FPS bow matter.

Now Elk is another story
Giant Nontypical

Jeff is your longbow quiter then your compound? My recurve is a hell of allot quiter then any compound.
Giant Nontypical

I'm certain they can and will jump string......but is this the only reason?
Reason enough, isn't it? More? Okay. I shoot quite a bit just for fun and relaxation and a quiet bow is simply more pleasant to shoot than a loud one. How's that?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Not about the Follow up shot, it's about a deer jumping your string. IMO

A deer can jump an arrow 180 FPS, that same deer would have jump the arrow if it was travling at 330 FPS,400 FPS, 500 FPS, 600 FPS, and at 700 FPS you hit it
So at an animal the is killed on average of 17 yds, why does 300+ FPS bow matter.

Now Elk is another story
I would like to see the poor deer they tested this on![:'(]
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

No wrong answer.....I'm trying to learn something.

Sure my LB's quiet, Schultzy. I could actually see NOT spooking a deer (in some instances)with a shot (miss).
Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Saturday morning when I go out and kill that big Tom I want a quiet bow so that second big Tom sticks around and waits for his turn to get killed. I thought I would make my answer season appropriate!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 AM

I feel a good % of the time when a deer jumps a string is do to the hunter....shifting feet, arrow draw, and countless other things. I personally have never seen a deer jump the string when someone has been at full draw and takes a steady shot. Not saying they can't, but never seen it. Alot of hunter shift there wieght right as they shoot. I think that thismay be causing the string jumpers, my girl friend is the queen of moving before the shot. Don't tell her I said that
Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Jeff is your longbow quiter then your compound? My recurve is a hell of allot quiter then any compound.
Schultzy, my Longbow is way quieter than my Compound! Over the summer I'm going to get a heavier arrow set up for my Compound, not that its LOUD but this should quiet it down a bit!

Quick Reply: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.