Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

I want my bow as quiet as possible. I like speed but for other reasons, and will not tolerate a noisy bow to get extra speed.

Deer past 30 yards rarely if ever jump the string. The noise (if any) they here is out of their comfort zone and therefore they do Not perceive it as a danger.

Dan
Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM

I like qwiet thats why I shoot bows I have got second shots with loud bows.Well if they don t jump string I guess I just shot to high thanks for taking my excuse away guys.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want my bow to rumble like my chevy!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

With my quiet bows , I have had many days in stand where more then 1 deer have come in at a time and I have killed more then 1 of them . The most being 4 . That is why I like my bows to be quiet . Could care less how fast my bow is .
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Speed of sound is about 1130fps, my bow shoots 270fps. At 20 yards, my arrow gets to the deer in about 1/4 second, whatever sound my bow makes gets there in 1/16 of a second. So, the deer has less than 1/4 second to duckSEVERAL inches under my well placed shot. Bad shots, missed deer.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have got a second shot at a deer,but the main reason I like a quiet bow is because I want to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible,and it does'nt hurt to have a quiet bow,that's for sure.I have had deer to totally do a 180 at the shot,I will admitt she was very wound up before the shot.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Quiet is perhaps #1 most important feature, a big reason I feel matthews did so well early on was because IMO they simply had the far quietest bow and still continue to excede in this category.

Quiet has nothing to do with follow up shots IMO. it has to do with deer not reacting to the shot. Sure a faster bow will get the arrow there quicker, but really whether were talking 320fps or 350, that advantage is null, I think you would need a 500fps bow to see that advantage/reaction time to game, ie where sound wouldnt matter, or someone posted once that you'd need a bow going like 1500fps to make sound negligible.

So really sound/quiet is crucial. You want that deer to hear nothing but the arrow moving....not your bow etc....and ideally by the time he hears it that arrow is in him or just about.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1
I think Quiet is perhaps #1 most important feature, a big reason I feel matthews did so well early on was because IMO they simply had the far quietest bow and still continue to excede in this category.
Exceed?? Have you ever listened to a Guardian or General? I really doubt any bow exceeds their Quiet, Shock free shot, and they are not exactly slow either!!

Dan
Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the word is excell. And you can't tell me that when I shoot my Marquis next to my brother in law who is shooting a Switchback. My bow is both quieter and faster. Both bows are at 65#s and 29" DL.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Bowtech BOWTECH bowtech BOWTECH bowtech BOWTECH

Quick Reply: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.