Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

It matters to me because of deer ducking the string. I also pay attention to how much noise my arrows make, making my stand quiet, quiet clothing etc. Silence helps you kill.

I've also gotten second shots and had deer stick around after shooting one. There is no reason not to have a bow as quiet as possible.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

But....why is "quiet" important?
Bow efficiency is lost through noise.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 AM

We all do everything we can do to make ethical shots on deer. Sometimes they jump the string, and bad shots happen because of it. Possibly even a clean miss. If shooting a quiet bow puts even a bit more advantage in my favor, and helps to make that ethical shot........That's why. IMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Watch Bowhunting October Whitetails. It has a good segment on this very subject. A deer can drop it's full body height in 3/10 of a second.

Darrall
Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think a quiet bow is alsoimportant for not spooking otherdeerin the area after the shot.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM

I honestly don't think matters that much if you are shooting relaxed deer inside of 25 yards. My buddies old darton sounds like a screen door slamming shut when he shoots it and he doesn't have any trouble with deer jumping his shots. And it only shoots like 215 fps. Have a quiet bow certainly doesn't hurt though.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I bet it doesn't happen as much people think, I bet the majority of people that say the deer jumped the string just flat out missed. They either flinched, or misjudged the yardarge. I read somewhere once also that it was nearly impossible for a deer to jump the string on a modern bow. They simply can't react that fast. In order to duck the arrow they would have to defy the laws of physics since their feet are not anchored to the ground.

My bow is quiet simply because I like it that way. How quiet is my bow, pretty darn quiet. One of the quietest bows I have ever heard. I can actually hear the loop come off my release if the target is far enough away. I think my feathers make more noise than my bow does. Gotta love those yarn puff balls.

Paul
Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

But....why is "quiet" important?
Bow efficiency is lost through noise.
Exactly!! If your bow is loud,it's wasted energy and efficiency
Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Quiet bow might give you a second chance shot, that's a good reason. I agree it's just a lot nicer shooting a quiet bow. I don't believe deer duck arrows. They duck because somebody misses high an an arrow flying over it's back makes it hit the dirt. I've never personnaly seen it with a bow, but I shot high on a deer with a smoke pole once. I was coming down a ridge in cut powerlines, deer was 30 yards in frontand about 20 feet below me. Sun was directly behind me. Had my stand on my back, got a little off balance, and barely shot over him. He was looking at me, but blinded by the sun. He went down on all fours, and you would have sworn from all appearences, that he'd ducked that 50 cal bullet. I doubt it. Deer ducking arrows? Wives tales and folklore. My buddy's Hoyt sounds like a baseball bat connecting on a baseball. Deer ain't jumped that string, they ain't jumping ANY string.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Host of Hosts

My buddies old darton sounds like a screen door slamming shut when he shoots it and he doesn't have any trouble with deer jumping his sho
Reminds of the old High Country's too... Loud as heck! I like a quiet bow because they exist.
I don't want a loud twang if I don't have to have it. Most bows are alot quieter these days. Also
less noise goes along with less hand shock and vibration.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

We all do everything we can do to make ethical shots on deer. Sometimes they jump the string, and bad shots happen because of it. Possibly even a clean miss. If shooting a quiet bow puts even a bit more advantage in my favor, and helps to make that ethical shot........That's why. IMO.
Well said, Mobo ...... x2

Quick Reply: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.