Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: Germ

Not about the Follow up shot, it's about a deer jumping your string. IMO

A deer can jump an arrow 180 FPS, that same deer would have jump the arrow if it was travling at 330 FPS,400 FPS, 500 FPS, 600 FPS, and at 700 FPS you hit it
So at an animal the is killed on average of 17 yds, why does 300+ FPS bow matter.

Now Elk is another story
I would like to see the poor deer they tested this on![:'(]
It's not a test, if I can find it Wisconsin did a study on it. No live animals were hurt[8D]
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want to have a quiet bow so that in my mind the deer wont "jump" the string after the shot giving you less chances of getting a bad shot. This may or may not help but in my mind it does and gives me more confident in my equipment. No I probably wont get any follow up shots but if I can get a good shot the first time from the deer not jumping the string that all I want.

Another reason is I believe a slower setup will be easier to get good broadhead flight. Example: I know this one guy shoots the fastest setup he can light arrows but he can't get any broadheads in a group He cannot get good broadhead flight. His bow is tuned. In my mind it is because He shoots a light and fast setup and is broadheads are steering the arrow around. Once again it may not be true, but in my mind that what it is.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Commander is consistently the quietest bow at the shoots, both outdoor and indoor, and this is from other shooters commenting on the noise. I like my bow quiet, but never really thought about exactly why. Plenty of deer were killed before limbsavers were invented!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

What more reason do you need than ducking the shot?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No wrong answer.....I'm trying to learn something.

Sure my LB's quiet, Schultzy. I could actually see NOT spooking a deer (in some instances)with a shot (miss).
I've had one deer jump my string I think at 10 yards in 13 years of hunting with my recurve. There's a chance to I might of shot over her back too instead of her ducking the arrow. When I was shooting compound it happened 3 different times between 10 and 15 yards in 10 years hunting with my compound. My compound was fairly quiet and the speed wasn't to bad either. I'm thinking it was in that 260 fps range if i remember right. I've talked to friends of mine that are shooting 300+ fps bows and they've had deer duck the arrow at 10 to 15 yards.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Jeff is your longbow quiter then your compound? My recurve is a hell of allot quiter then any compound.
Schultzy, my Longbow is way quieter than my Compound! Over the summer I'm going to get a heavier arrow set up for my Compound, not that its LOUD but this should quiet it down a bit!
You bet it will!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Jeff is your longbow quiter then your compound? My recurve is a hell of allot quiter then any compound.
Schultzy, my Longbow is way quieter than my Compound! Over the summer I'm going to get a heavier arrow set up for my Compound, not that its LOUD but this should quiet it down a bit!
You bet it will!
I cannot get my bow as quiet as a long bow, but I can come close. One thing I always hear at 3D shoot is how quiet my bows are. With all the products out today, it's not that hard. The best thing IMO one can do, is shoot a heavy arrow
Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A deer can jump an arrow 180 FPS, that same deer would have jump the arrow if it was travling at 330 FPS,400 FPS, 500 FPS, 600 FPS, and at 700 FPS you hit it
So at an animal the is killed on average of 17 yds, why does 300+ FPS bow matter.

Now Elk is another story
It's not a test, if I can find it Wisconsin did a study on it. No live animals were hurt[8D]
Im interested in this study cause if no live animals were hurt that means they all jumped or ducked the string...thats amazing!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

my bow seems quiet...ive heard some awful loud bows though...

my buddy has an older PSE...rubber peep tube..that thing is loud. one day i was shooting with him after groundhog hunting...as a joke i pulled out my ear plugs and put them in and told him his bow was making my ears ring...it really is LOUD...dont know a bow can get much louder than his...

id agree the main reason is for jumping the string...and Germ is right...speed at normal hunting distances doesnt matter except for arrow trajectory...the hairs of a second simply arent gunna make a difference opposed to a deers reaction time. i never believed a deer could jump a string...till it happened to me and i watched it happen...bow wasnt overly loud...i made the mistake of shooting an alert deer.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now Elk is another story
Im interested in this study cause if no live animals were hurt that means they all jumped or ducked the string...thats amazing!
Let me find it, and no they did not shoot at any animal, they used math

Quick Reply: How quiet is your bow? Why does it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.