Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does some people want a speed bow?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why does some people want a speed bow?

Why do some people want a speed bow that is hard to draw, less forgiving an most deer are shot withinclosedistanceof the stand. Ilikea bow that is in the middle of the group an forgiving an smooth. I knowof one buck that ducked an arrow on me. If, the bow would have been a little faster he could not have ducked it thatquick. Seems like some people just want a fast bow or maybe just want to stay up to date on the bows. Just wondering??
Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why does some people want a speed bow?

so they can say "My bow is faster than your bow"
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

To compensate for their lack of arrow length.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I would think many "speed" bows have come a long way.....and in MANY instances rise above the negative stereotypes you cite.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back when I was shooting tournaments I wanted the fastest bow I could get to tighten the gap and have the flatest shooting bow I could put together at the time, but with my hunting bow I had the set up you just described in your thread (in the middle). My hunting bows were always set up differently than the speed bows were. It isthe difference in a daily driver and adrag racing car.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

To compensate for their lack of arrow length.
I like your web site!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with GMMAT, they have come along way and are more forgiving, smooth, etc.than you might think. And if you are comfortable with it and shoot it accuratly, why not have a lil more advantage?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM

I think a concept w/ the "speed bow" that is oft overlooked is efficiency and KE. Folks NEEDED to shoot high poundage to get speed and KE out of their set ups. This is simply not the case anymore. Jeff's rig is a good example. What was your arrow weight Jeff? 327 right? Not heavy...BUT, he's shooting 330 on 62 #'s. He could shoot a much heavier arrow and linger @ or over the 300 mark and carry unbelievable energy.

A major plus to a speed bow is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. Case in point, I'm shooting a 440 grain arrow @ 296. Talk about KE. Not that long ago that just wouldn't have been possible unless you were shooting an 80# bow.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would think many "speed" bows have come a long way.....and in MANY instances rise above the negative stereotypes you cite.
Which ones are as easy drawing as a 250fps bow that shoot over 300 fps?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

I think a concept w/ the "speed bow" that is oft overlooked is efficiency and KE. Folks NEEDED to shoot high poundage to get speed and KE out of their set ups. This is simply not the case anymore. Jeff's rig is a good example. What was your arrow weight Jeff? 327 right? Not heavy...BUT, he's shooting 330 on 62 #'s. He could shoot a much heavier arrow and linger @ or over the 300 mark and carry unbelievable energy.

A major plus to a speed bow is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. Case in point, I'm shooting a 440 grain arrow @ 296. Talk about KE. Not that long ago that just wouldn't have been possible unless you were shooting an 80# bow.

Case in point that much energy is not needed to run a razor sharp broadhead through an animal that most of us hunt every fall.

Quick Reply: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.