Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does some people want a speed bow?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why does some people want a speed bow?

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Its not that they need it its what they want! Hell I dont need my wife but I keep her!LOL

I take it she doesn't read over your shoulder.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:32 AM

I THINK MY ELITE IS SMOOTH AND FORGIVING, HAS A BRACE HEIGHT OF 7, IBO 340/350.....NO VIBRATION, WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT IN ANY BOW?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the speed bow thing at times, and at this point in life I just want to enjoy shooting - I have two commanders probably shooting in the 270's but very forgiving and accurate and fun as hell to shoot
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've just read through this and come to the conclusion that Jeff has cloned himself as bow huntert and the result was an discussion that still has me scratching my head.

Questions that result:

Should we shoot heavier arrows to get more KE or is the minimal KE enough?

Is it OK to shoot a speed bow if it is shootable as long as you use heavy arrows with it?

If you have a fast bow, but prefer it for the KE advantage over the speed need is that agreeable to everyone?

Should we be trying to shoot 700 grain arrows at 270 fps???[&:]

I'm so confused.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM

The only point I was trying to make is this. Yes, a speed bow is just that, and most folks get one for what? Well, the speed of course. And that's fine. It'll kill deer, it'll shoot straight. If that's what they want, hey......who am I to tell them they are wrong? I'm can't.

But, another side to the speed bow is it's ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast, and not having to shoot 80 #'s to do it. But those of us that choose to go that route aren't wrong either. The question was posed, why do some want a speed bow? For me, the answer is because the speed bow has the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

The only point I was trying to make is this. Yes, a speed bow is just that, and most folks get one for what? Well, the speed of course. And that's fine. It'll kill deer, it'll shoot straight. If that's what they want, hey......who am I to tell them they are wrong? I'm can't.

But, another side to the speed bow is it's ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast, and not having to shoot 80 #'s to do it. But those of us that choose to go that route aren't wrong either. The question was posed, why do some want a speed bow? For me, the answer is because the speed bow has the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast.
Your point was the only one that was clear and made sense. It's also the reason that I look for faster shooting bows. I want a bow that will push my 440+ grain arrows at a decent speed with my 27.5" draw so I can get good KE.

The rest of the thread just made my head hurt.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot my bow for a full year at mindbending speeds, and have arrived at the following conclusions:
[ol][*]The 7" Brace Height simply wasn't enough to produce a sufficiently forgiving setup to come anywhere even close to the bullseye, even at close range.[*]Shooting a 290 grain arrow at 29", 70#, 369 fps - simplydid not produce nearly enough Kinetic Energy (78#) to kill a whitetail.[*]My arrows just lacked penetrating power, and I couldn't kill anything with it.[*]Using one pin out to 35 yards is just a royal pain in the ass. I would much rather usea slider with all my yardages markedand an electronic rangefinder.[*]Shooting a bow that was so fast caused my friends to feel "inferior," and it definitely put a strain on my personal relationships with my peers.[*]Shooting the fastest bow in a web community this large has caused me to suffer psychological abnormalities that have affected me, personally. Those psychological conditions have begun tomanifest themselvesphysically through the following symptoms:increasing hat size, sperm count/volume increases, enlarged testes, increased I.Q., increased lean muscle mass, heightened pheromone production, women disrobing themselves simply by looking at me, 15% increase in bench press, feelings of constant awesomenessand chronic erection. [/ol]
In sum, shooting a bow this fast just isn't for everyone. You must be prepared, both mentally and physically, for the side-effects. I am strongly considering slowing my bow down, because these factors are clearly starting to place an undue burden on myself, my lifestyle, my hunting, and my personal friendships.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Your point was the only one that was clear and made sense.
Now there's something I've never been told before.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes..... it's tough to be the King!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

Your point was the only one that was clear and made sense.
Now there's something I've never been told before.
There's a first time for everything right? And a last too.

Quick Reply: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.