Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does some people want a speed bow?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Why does some people want a speed bow?

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

ORIGINAL: mobow

I think a concept w/ the "speed bow" that is oft overlooked is efficiency and KE. Folks NEEDED to shoot high poundage to get speed and KE out of their set ups. This is simply not the case anymore. Jeff's rig is a good example. What was your arrow weight Jeff? 327 right? Not heavy...BUT, he's shooting 330 on 62 #'s. He could shoot a much heavier arrow and linger @ or over the 300 mark and carry unbelievable energy.

A major plus to a speed bow is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. Case in point, I'm shooting a 440 grain arrow @ 296. Talk about KE. Not that long ago that just wouldn't have been possible unless you were shooting an 80# bow.

Case in point that much energy is not needed to run a razor sharp broadhead through an animal that most of us hunt every fall.
Case in point it sure is nice to have if you hit a shoulder blade. And, it's more forgiving.
This.

Why do the fast bows havefairly light arrows why not 475-500 for more KE.
That's EXACTLY my point. A speed bow allows that. A speed bow will spit out a heavy arrow quite fast.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My bow shoots 272 fpsat 64 lbs could go to a lighter arrow an turn the poundage up but do not see a reason too. Just right for me. Do notneed speedfor mistakes, with that said watch mehave to eat my words this fall.
Why not just lower your poundage down to 50 pounds? Using your logic......it's more than enough to kill deer with.
40 lbs is legal in this state. Why do you need 74lbs an 350 gr arrow an shoot 330 FPS. Why not same setup with 475-500 gr arrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

We shot a 500 gr arrow out of my 82nd at 300fps.

71#'s at 29"

How's THAT for KE?

This is ridiculous. You're asking us why WE shoot "speed bows"....and you're shooting 24#'s over the legal DW for your state?

Why? It's a fair question.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 PM

For me its because my 384 grain arrow at 328 f.p.s. gives me 93 ft-lbs of KE (enough to blow through ANY animal in North America) and it allows for a small pin gap which means that if I misjudge the yardage by a yard or two I am still going to put it in the boiler room!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I would think many "speed" bows have come a long way.....and in MANY instances rise above the negative stereotypes you cite.
Exactly! I'm pushing a little over 300fps. actually aroun 309 with my general. Now I got a light arrow set-up, but I also got an 8 1/4 brace height how much more forgiving do you want? I am also shooting a General its the smoothest bow with the least amount of hand shock you will ever shoot!
Why not go to an heavier arrow for more KE use the bow for what its made for the KE but it would slow it down some.
Cause when I shot the General I loved the way the bow felt but I also wanted some speed. So I got the bow I wanted and Im shooting exactly what the shop owner set me up on and this set up has been proven. I have 65ft lbs. of kinetic energy thats plenty to kill anything Im ever gonna hunt!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM

71#'s at 29"

How's THAT for KE?
BINGO! That's the point of my original post. A speed bow is overlooked for it's KE potential. Most guys get a speed bow for the raw speed. Just another attribute is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. My point exactly.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

For me its because my 384 grain arrow at 328 f.p.s. gives me 93 ft-lbs of KE (enough to blow through ANY animal in North America) and it allows for a small pin gap which means that if I misjudge the yardage by a yard or two I am still going to put it in the boiler room!
But why do people think the need ofthat much KE when 50 or 75% of thatwill do.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

71#'s at 29"

How's THAT for KE?
BINGO! That's the point of my original post. A speed bow is overlooked for it's KE potential. Most guys get a speed bow for the raw speed. Just another attribute is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. My point exactly.
Not only are you good lookin' but your smart also
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

But why do people think the need ofthat much KE when 50 or 75% of thatwill do.
Can you explain to me what it's HURTING?? Other than the deer of course.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Why do you shoot 64#'s when 40 will "do"?

Quick Reply: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.