Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does some people want a speed bow?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Eh, I'm a believer in shooting what you want. Even if it's 90% marketing hype...it's working, and people are buying them in masses. Speed is the new craze, it has it's benefits (may not be AS beneficial in the woods as it is on the 3d course, but nonetheless). Why do so many Americans buy fullsize pickups to drive to work and back never using the bed more than a handful of times? You may not NEED it, but believe it or not, people might just WANT it, for whatever reason that may be.

That being said, I'm coming from shooting a 265fps CR334 at 65# and 29"DL to my 101st at 60# and 28.5" DL, and yes the draw cycle is different, but I will have not problems shooting this setup for long periods of time. Granted, I am young, but I don't believe the draw cycle is overly harsh for the speeds it puts out. In fact, I would go as far as to say I LIKE the draw cycle better than my single cam CR334. The great thing about this is it's all personal preference. You're right, a deer can just as easily be killed at 200fps as it can 300fps, but there are pluses/minuses to each approach.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

Eh, I'm a believer in shooting what you want. Even if it's 90% marketing hype...it's working, and people are buying them in masses. Speed is the new craze, it has it's benefits (may not be AS beneficial in the woods as it is on the 3d course, but nonetheless). Why do so many Americans buy fullsize pickups to drive to work and back never using the bed more than a handful of times? You may not NEED it, but believe it or not, people might just WANT it, for whatever reason that may be.

That being said, I'm coming from shooting a 265fps CR334 at 65# and 29"DL to my 101st at 60# and 28.5" DL, and yes the draw cycle is different, but I will have not problems shooting this setup for long periods of time. Granted, I am young, but I don't believe the draw cycle is overly harsh for the speeds it puts out. In fact, I would go as far as to say I LIKE the draw cycle better than my single cam CR334. The great thing about this is it's all personal preference. You're right, a deer can just as easily be killed at 200fps as it can 300fps, but there are pluses/minuses to each approach.
VERY WELL PUT, Matt
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would think many "speed" bows have come a long way.....and in MANY instances rise above the negative stereotypes you cite.
Exactly! I'm pushing a little over 300fps. actually aroun 309 with my general. Now I got a light arrow set-up, but I also got an 8 1/4 brace height how much more forgiving do you want? I am also shooting a General its the smoothest bow with the least amount of hand shock you will ever shoot!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bow shoots 272 fpsat 64 lbs could go to a lighter arrow an turn the poundage up but do not see a reason too. Just right for me. Do notneed speedfor mistakes, with that said watch mehave to eat my words this fall.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would think many "speed" bows have come a long way.....and in MANY instances rise above the negative stereotypes you cite.
Exactly! I'm pushing a little over 300fps. actually aroun 309 with my general. Now I got a light arrow set-up, but I also got an 8 1/4 brace height how much more forgiving do you want? I am also shooting a General its the smoothest bow with the least amount of hand shock you will ever shoot!
Why not go to an heavier arrow for more KE use the bow for what its made for the KE but it would slow it down some.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

with that said watch mehave to eat my words this fall.
Let's hope not! Looks like you're doing just fine judging by your avatar.

I am shooting a speed bow, my 82nd Airborne at 29"@71lbs is shooting a 384 grain arrow out at 328 f.p.s. The draw cycle won't be as smooth a some bows on the market, but I guarentee that there are bows out there that have IBO speeds in the low 300's that aren't as smooth. Handshock and noise are minimal, and as far as being less forgiving.... well, I PM'd Rob earlier because I didn't want to hear the crap from the peanut gallery, but I tuned my 82nd yesterday, I eyed it up to get a rough start and within a few shots I had it shooting perfect bullet holes through paper, went to shoot groups and was keeping decent groups (I havn't been shooting since around late October/early November). Today I broke the bow out and yet again, still getting use to a brand new bow and having not shot in almost half a year, and at 30 yards I was putting 3 arrows in a 1" bullseye. I personally felt that I was having a bad day of shooting and figured that I would have been all over the place but each time I walked down to the target, the arrows were in the bullseye. With the constant improvements in bow design, as Jeff suggested, alot of the negatives you speak of are null points. I can tell you right now that my 82nd is much better to shot than the 2001 Hoyt MT Sport that I use to have. That bow was spitting arrows out at 244 f.p.s. compared to 328 f.p.s. with my 82nds. That extra 84 f.p.s. was gained along with a smoother, quieter, more shock free bow that is more stable and better built.
Fork Horn

Do not need speed for mistakes? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not going to touch that except by saying, no one has said anything to that effect as a reason for having just a lil more juice than you shoot!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

My bow shoots 272 fpsat 64 lbs could go to a lighter arrow an turn the poundage up but do not see a reason too. Just right for me. Do notneed speedfor mistakes, with that said watch mehave to eat my words this fall.
Why not just lower your poundage down to 50 pounds? Using your logic......it's more than enough to kill deer with.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

ORIGINAL: mobow

I think a concept w/ the "speed bow" that is oft overlooked is efficiency and KE. Folks NEEDED to shoot high poundage to get speed and KE out of their set ups. This is simply not the case anymore. Jeff's rig is a good example. What was your arrow weight Jeff? 327 right? Not heavy...BUT, he's shooting 330 on 62 #'s. He could shoot a much heavier arrow and linger @ or over the 300 mark and carry unbelievable energy.

A major plus to a speed bow is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. Case in point, I'm shooting a 440 grain arrow @ 296. Talk about KE. Not that long ago that just wouldn't have been possible unless you were shooting an 80# bow.

Case in point that much energy is not needed to run a razor sharp broadhead through an animal that most of us hunt every fall.
Case in point it sure is nice to have if you hit a shoulder blade. And, it's more forgiving.
This.

Why do the fast bows havefairly light arrows why not 475-500 for more KE.

Quick Reply: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.