Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why does some people want a speed bow?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why does some people want a speed bow?

I think most people are going to use Kyle's reasoning, while people who are actually trying to get something out of there bow use Mobows logic.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

ORIGINAL: mobow

I think a concept w/ the "speed bow" that is oft overlooked is efficiency and KE. Folks NEEDED to shoot high poundage to get speed and KE out of their set ups. This is simply not the case anymore. Jeff's rig is a good example. What was your arrow weight Jeff? 327 right? Not heavy...BUT, he's shooting 330 on 62 #'s. He could shoot a much heavier arrow and linger @ or over the 300 mark and carry unbelievable energy.

A major plus to a speed bow is the ability to shoot a heavy arrow fast. Case in point, I'm shooting a 440 grain arrow @ 296. Talk about KE. Not that long ago that just wouldn't have been possible unless you were shooting an 80# bow.

Case in point that much energy is not needed to run a razor sharp broadhead through an animal that most of us hunt every fall.
Case in point it sure is nice to have if you hit a shoulder blade. And, it's more forgiving.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I under stand things happen but practice an more practice goes a long way. I just think even practicing with a bow of that speedwould get old with the hard cams.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM

To make a long story short, it is amarketing tool to make people "think" that they need an updated and faster bow for fanatics like us
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would put the draw cycle of my commander up against any bow....It is set up at 65 lbs and is the smoothest, quietest bow I have ever been around, If it happens to shoot a hunting shaft @ 300 fps so be it.....And hand shock There isn't any.....8" brace height....Yeah it has more KE than needed but thats like telling my employer that they are paying me more money than I need.....
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oilpatchpride

I would put the draw cycle of my commander up against any bow....It is set up at 65 lbs and is the smoothest, quietest bow I have ever been around, If it happens to shoot a hunting shaft @ 300 fps so be it.....And hand shock There isn't any.....8" brace height....Yeah it has more KE than needed but thats like telling my employer that they are paying me more money than I need.....
I havent shot the commander... but it's not considered a "speed" bow is it?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Bowhuntert:

Just for giggles.....what poundage do you shoot?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

ORIGINAL: oilpatchpride

I havent shot the commander... but it's not considered a "speed" bow is it?
He was comparing to 250 fps, it is shooting 400gr at 300fps ....I dont think it is a speed bow but it fell in the class he was describing....
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I used to shoot a bow set on 70lbs,with an overdraw with arrows cut to 27" and still only shooting in the 220 fps range.Now I shoot a 29" arrow at 272 fps ith a bow set on 64lbs and 70lbs of ke,and the bow is smoother and quieter than any bow I've ever shot.My arrows are still 428 grns.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I under stand things happen but practice an more practice goes a long way. I just think even practicing with a bow of that speedwould get old with the hard cams.
Logic says it would.....But, the Vector cam on the '08 Hoyt's are so damn smooth, you can shoot it all day. And practice? I shoot upwards of 300 arrows a week. There is no amount of practice that can prepare you for the crap that can happen in the deer woods. What I mean is, you simply cannot predict every possible situation, so why not get the very best of both worlds? Shoot a heavy arrow fast. I'm not shooting a speed bow for the speed. Not raw speed anyway.

Quick Reply: Why does some people want a speed bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.