Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Spine Question?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Arrow Spine Question?

I've been having problems getting my single cam bow to paper tune perfectly with several arrows. Bow is setup at 65 lbs and at 29 inch draw. According to most charts, I need a 400 spine arrow. I seem to get the small left tear with most of the arrows I've tried. I tried a PSE radial X-Weave Predator 200arrow today (300 arrow is equivalent to everyone elses 400 spine). Arrow was 28 inches long without nock, and 29 inches from tip of nock to insert. Total weight of arrow was 370 grains. Well my bow in my hands loved this arrow. I was shooting bullets through paper every shot. However, supposedly this arrow is underspinedfor my setup. I have had a couple of shop people say it will work, and others say it is too weak and not to use it. Also that it will not work with broadheads (however I do shoot with mechanicals). I could usesome advice on this. Wouldthis arrow be okay to use (I mainly hunt elk), or would I be better off to step up in spine and live with the small tear as long as it group tunes okay? Pros and cons please?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Spine Question?

I am of the opinion that if you have centershot set correctly and are getting bulletholes,you have found the proper spined arrow for YOUR BOW.All bows have an efficiecy rating and just because you shoot a certain draw length and poundage does NOT mean you shoot the same spine as someone else shooting the same draw and poundage.

There are other variables to consider.Are you creating torque causing the tears or lack there of.

If you can get that arrow to get good paper at 2' and6' without fletching,I am willing to bet the arrow is perfect.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are your exact specs,bow,and a chrony reading with exact weight of arrow would be nice?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 PM

I haven't chronoed the bow. The bow is a Truth 2 set at 65 lbs and 29 inch draw with a QAD Hunter rest. The arrow that it appeared to like (Predator 200)was a total of 370 grains. I know that form does have to be a factor. One shop guy was able to shoot bullets with a properly spined 400 arrow (however, he is a professional shooter). I know that my form isn't perfect, but the pro shooter said the good thing about me is that I do shoot consistant. I may tear slightlywith the "properly" spined arrows, but my shots or "tears" are pretty much the same with most the arrows I've tried. I was shooting bullets with the Predator arrows every shot. So I don't know what it is about that arrow that "compensates" for my less than perfect form. Just not sure what to do at this point. Obviously I will keep working on improving my form.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your form is causing a good tear at one distance,the tear will change at another,so you will get a false reading.

If you get a consistant tear at different distances,then you are probably good but if the good shooter gets a good tear with an arrow that is "supposed" to be the properly spined arrow,that is probably pretty close to correct.

My program is showing you are way underspined with THAT bow.

I doubt that you willget a good tear at more than one distance from the paper.