Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone ever choopped off a turkey's head?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever choopped off a turkey's head?

That's what I'm getting at Kyle.....

I hear a LOT of talk about these heads.....but I don't know ANYONE who's ever used one, successfully.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That's what I'm getting at Kyle.....

I hear a LOT of talk about these heads.....but I don't know ANYONE who's ever used one, successfully.
This friday, if I have enough time, I'm going to try and sight in some bullheads, and maybe give them a whirl saturday(if they perform well in the practice session).

Another thing I may do, is buy the G5 Small game heads and try and shoot a turkey in the head with that. I've always wanted to shoot one in the head, but never have tried. Call me a chicken[&:]
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how many turkeys they nicked and never found while making this footage? I'll pass on the Gobbler Guilitine. Sounds like someone is definitelyovercompensating for something.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

OK, not with a broadhead. BUT, with an ax. When we were kids we were dirt poor and all that crap. Anyway,the familywent to visit a farmer friend of the family one time. The farmer said, if you boys can catch that big old gobbler you can take him home for Thanksgiving. After a lot of chasing and running around by me and 2 of my brothers, we corralled the domestic free ranging turkey and put him in a burlap sack.

When we got home we decided to do the deed. We raised about 75 chickens for eggs and food. We always did them in bunches when it came time for killing and canning.. We had it down to a science. We had two big old nails driven into the top of a big stump. We'd put a chickens neck between the nails and stretch him out by the legs. You'd load, pull and a brother would make one quick chop and you'd throw the chicken out into the yard to flop a bit. Then we dunked them in a big barrell of boiling water, hang them on a line and pluck them. Mom didn't like to can just a couple. We usually did 15 or so at a time.

So now to the turkey. We added a nail with a larger gap. All the time trying to control this turkey. We figured if we stretched, someone chopped and then dumped him in a burlap sack he wouldn't flop so much. So being younger than Arnie I got the stretch and dump job. Little brother Paul got the "Hold the bag" job. Arnie being oldest got to play executioner and swing the ax. Well this turkey must have weighed 25 or 30 pounds plucked. LOL So I'm fighting wings, feet, beak ... you name it. Arnie grabs the head and shoves his neck between the nails. I stretch, the wings get free, the bird is beating me and the executioner to death. I'm little you understand. I'm trying to capture wings, stretch and stay alive at this point. Arnie swings and gets half the neck so the head is hanging. But, with the swing of the ax I'm already on the way to the bag with the bird who once again has freed his wings. Paul drops the bag and runs. The turkey is winning the battle between the stretcher and the turkey. I finally relinguish my grip on the turkey with half a neck. He takes off(we're on a hill above the 2 story garage) and flies mind you about 20 yards and smashes into the frame of a window on the second floor of the garage/barn. I'm covered with blood, Arnies covered with blood, we have a broken window and the turkey falls to the ground still flopping but leaves a big blood splot 20 feet off the ground on the white barn.

From my way of thinking.... chopping off a turkeys head is only trouble.LOL
Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Davidmil, funny story. Glad you survived
Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM

I was going to say the same thing as David. Never done it with a broad head, but I have with an ax and/or cleaver. My grandpa used to raise all sort of birds to sell and butcher so we used to do it to turkey, goose and chickens.

Paul
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well my buddy in Ohio shot one with one of those heads. He hit the turkey square in the head. The turkey flopped over and appeared to be dead. He stayed in the blind do to other birds in the area. 5 mins later the turkey picks his head up, shakes it off and runs away.

It's all on tape[8D]
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always used the step and lift method for chickens, and I use it still now to finish off crippled geese, only I don't take the head off geese like I did on chickens as a kid.

Hold the chicken by the feet and place its head on the ground. Place the instep of your boot on the chickens neck just behind the head so that its head cannot slip between your boot and the ground.... now just give a good lift on the legs and you have chicken in hand, chickens head on the ground. For geese we just pull on the legs until we hear that nice sharp POP! Lights out....

I have taken a birds head off with a load of copper plated 6s. And a friend of mine who hunted a nearby farm a few years ago shot a bird in the fall with a rocket hammerhead and took his head off. I saw the bird immediately following the hunt, but wasn't there for the "kill" myself... don't know if that counts or not.....
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM

You would think with the blades on the guillotine that there would be alot of heads coming off, but from the experiences I have seen they just get mangled a little bit, have never seen one losehead unless it was with a 12 gauge or ax.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Well my buddy in Ohio shot one with one of those heads. He hit the turkey square in the head. The turkey flopped over and appeared to be dead. He stayed in the blind do to other birds in the area. 5 mins later the turkey picks his head up, shakes it off and runs away.

It's all on tape[8D]
Germ...as in he shook his head head off and it fell on the ground?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever choopped off a turkey's head?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.