Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who knows where Laurel, Maryland is??

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who knows where Laurel, Maryland is??

Hey guys.....I dumped a Canadian Goose here in MICHIGAN and it had a tag on its leg from Laurel Maryland. The bird flew 557 miles to my gun barrell. Interesting...have any of you guystaken a bird that was tagged?

I'll have to dig up the info but I did a little History through the DNR on it...

Cool Stuff.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who knows where Laurel, Maryland is??

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Laurel,+MD,+USA&um=1&ie=U TF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1& ct=image

Edit: fixed it MOHO. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats not far from me. I drive thru Laurel on my way to work. Thats pretty cool. I wonder what kind of gas mileagehe was getting???
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im thinking its somewhere in Maryland.... i think...[8D]
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was in Laurel, MD once for work. Nice little town. I know that some geese here on the coast come from South America, so your goose was lazy.

I'll have to ask my buddy where some of the bands are that he has. Congrats on the banded bird.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bird was likely not tagged in Laurel, MD. The USFWS National Bird Banding and Reseach lab is located in Laurel (the lab is in Pauxteunt.... or however its spelled). All USFWS (federal) migratory bird bands (ducks, geese, brant, swans, pelicans, gulls etc etc they tag all sorts of stuff) will have the Laurel, MD address on them (at least in the last 15 years or so). Most of the modern ones have the phone number as well, which is easy to remember 1800 327 BAND.

The only way to find out exactly where the goose was captured and banded is to call the number, or you can do it online now, and give the operator your information and the band number. They'll send you a certificate in the mail with the date, place, biologist in charge, sex of the bird, and estimated age of the bird. Thats the coolest thing about bands.

I've shot two banded geese out of the same bunch, boom-boom and had one be from Pennsylvania 7 years earlierand another was captured and banded 10 miles down the road from where I was hunting the summer before. I've had other geese from Canada (Alberta and Manatoba) as well as four US states, ducks from Manatoba, Ontario and Quebec, as well as from three US states. Also got a lot of "chicken mallard" bands from South Carolina Waterfowl Association and variousplantations that release birds. Each one has a story to tell! Only way to find out is to call her in!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not far 10-12 miles from where I was born and raised and also where George Wallace was shot while campaigning
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info and an awesome story
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

The bird was likely not tagged in Laurel, MD. The USFWS National Bird Banding and Reseach lab is located in Laurel (the lab is in Pauxteunt.... or however its spelled). All USFWS (federal) migratory bird bands (ducks, geese, brant, swans, pelicans, gulls etc etc they tag all sorts of stuff) will have the Laurel, MD address on them (at least in the last 15 years or so). Most of the modern ones have the phone number as well, which is easy to remember 1800 327 BAND.

The only way to find out exactly where the goose was captured and banded is to call the number, or you can do it online now, and give the operator your information and the band number. They'll send you a certificate in the mail with the date, place, biologist in charge, sex of the bird, and estimated age of the bird. Thats the coolest thing about bands.

I've shot two banded geese out of the same bunch, boom-boom and had one be from Pennsylvania 7 years earlierand another was captured and banded 10 miles down the road from where I was hunting the summer before. I've had other geese from Canada (Alberta and Manatoba) as well as four US states, ducks from Manatoba, Ontario and Quebec, as well as from three US states. Also got a lot of "chicken mallard" bands from South Carolina Waterfowl Association and variousplantations that release birds. Each one has a story to tell! Only way to find out is to call her in!
Beat me too it....great informative post.

I killed a woodie this past year banded not 15 miles from where I killed it, Scottsville KY, but it too had the Laurel, MD band on it. I agree, the stories behind bands are pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Who knows where Laurel, Maryland is??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.